Making maggots for bait

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Making maggots for bait

Postby bassboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 pm

I know this is a sea forum but I am sure some of you do freshwater fishing, has anyone had any experience making maggots or know how to make them,I have looked on google and I have a fair idea , just looking for tips and different ways to make them,thanks
bassboy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 92 times

Re: Making maggots for bait

Postby bass man 09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 pm

get a dead chicken and hang it up put a biggish tray under neath it to catch them u should get some with in a week

For this message the author bass man 09 has received thanks:
bassboy (Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21 pm)
bass man 09
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby kieranring » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Make sure where you put the chicken or ox heart , its better and dosnt smell as bad in the dark , a bin with a lid or something with just enough room for the bluebottles to get in , if you leave the meat in the light you'll only end up with pinkies , larvea of the house fly which are great in your ground bait but useless as a hookbait but the best advice I could give ya is buy them there only 3 to 5 euros a pint and you wont gety a pint making them yourself and also its a lot cleaner.

For this message the author kieranring has received thanks:
bassboy (Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21 pm)
kieranring
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby The Austrian » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Don't attempt to make them, I was foolish enough to try it a few years ago. I made a nice drilled wooden box with a hinged lid, sawdust and wire sieve underneath and even with a wee drawer for easy maggot collection. Basically a practical and foolproof setup. Hung up in the shadows of a few trees outside, the heart was rotting away nicely and I was able to harvest plenty of maggots. Until a storm brought the entire thing down, shattered the box and the dog dragged the rotting mess into our sitting room where he started to eat it underneath the table on the carpet. Since then my wife seems to have developed an unexplainable allergy to maggots or any kind of offal ;)
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein

For this message the author The Austrian has received thanks: 2
bassboy (Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 pm), HoleDigger (Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 pm)
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby Preston » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Id always buy them ,if you want a more cost effective bait worms are easy got with a bowl of water and fairy liquid poured liberally on the grass . Also bread flake and corn are hard to beat. The fake range of maggots and corn etc are very effective too .
2013 species : coalies,flounder(pb),whiting,dogfish,5 beard rockling
2012 species : cod,whiting,coalies;flounder,5 beard rockling,bass,dogfish,dab

For this message the author Preston has received thanks:
bassboy (Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 pm)
Preston
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby donal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:37 pm

I would say don't try it unless you have a place to do it a long way from your house. I used tined dog food but the maggots looked bad ugly off colour more natural maybe.and escaped everywhere. look into worm farming its easy enough do its basically a enclosed compost heap of sorts and then you just seed it with a lot of the type of worm you want a 1 lbs bag should do it best to get the worms online unless your local fishing shop will sell them in bulk.
I fish…therefore I am

For this message the author donal has received thanks:
bassboy (Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:02 pm)
donal
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby m.b3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

tried it years ago and even added food colours and flavours. the result was a stinking mess, a mix of odd coloured flies and a few fish. dont think its worth it unless you're stranded on an island with a lot of time to kill and no-one to answer too :(

For this message the author m.b3 has received thanks:
bassboy (Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:02 pm)
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers