fish sauce? codliver oil?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:22 pm

hey lads/ladies!

friend of a friend told me he injects his bait with cod liver oil, gives off a good scent and forms a slick coming off the bait as its released, bearing in mind i think he uses it when course fishing. just wondering if any body uses anything like this that attracts from a distance?

thanks,

Dan

*message cherry popped

Re: fish sauce? codliver oil?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:28 pm

ah it does give off a scent or oily trail alright,,most of it on top of the water when you cast,,you will have some on here that like it and some that dont,,,,im one of the ones that wouldnt use it as i have never been that successful with it,,if im using mackerel i would prefer its own oil and blood over self injected stuff any day,,,,,,the only time id consider useing it is wen the mackerel has been in the freezer for years lol

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm

thanks brian, ever use anything else to advertise yer bait? liek fish sauce or paste? as ye can probably tell, im a complete amateur when it comes to sea fishing

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Theres a rumour that wd40 can work too when sprayed on baits:grin::grin::grin:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:46 pm

red wrote:Theres a rumour that wd40 can work too when sprayed on baits:grin::grin::grin:

I always have a can if WD4O in the bag with me!..have tried a few times and don't see much of a difference!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 pm

mackfish wrote:
red wrote:Theres a rumour that wd40 can work too when sprayed on baits:grin::grin::grin:

I always have a can if WD4O in the bag with me!..have tried a few times and don't see much of a difference!

Stops your hooks rusting too! :wink:

There was a big fuss over it in the UK a few years back with some carp anglers being banned from a lake for using it on their baits. Think its made from 99% fish oil so can see the thinking behind it.

I often injected dead baits with fish oils for pike fishing and you could see a massive slick appear on the surface a while after you cast

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

WD40 refute the fish oil as an ingredient theory:
http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 pm

I knew it didn't have fish oil in it...but maybe urs just the scent if WD40 that supposedly attracts the fish

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 pm

The story I heard is it breaks down the flesh and helps the oils release quicker. I reckon its a load of b.s. Give me quality bait over a can if oil anyday.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 am

Had one of the fishing buddy use WD40 last year down on the carpets in Youghal and he thought his catch count improved but we never got back down for him to try without the WD40 so horses for courses...

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:33 pm

shrimp paste from an Asian Market made a difference once for me while targeting bullhuss. i know another guy who moulds it into the hole of a 6oz clock weight when boat fishing for conger.

Thu May 09, 2013 11:28 am

pilchard oil is good ,makes your hands all soft and waterproof :lol:

Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 am

I use the pike pro dyes and oils for pike fishing and they definitely work especially in stillwaters and larger venues .