New bearings

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi lads just wondering we're would be the best/handiest place to get bearings for abu reels?
Cheats lads :D

Re: New bearings

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 pm

give south side a buzz 01-4530266

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Cheers Henry do they stock them? Or order them?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Not sure about ABU but I get replacement bearings for my Shimano reels from Reliance Bearing off the Naas Rd. They're much cheaper than getting the genuine article from tackle dealers too.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Get a couple of guys to chip in and have a look at these
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit660

You can also opt for the cheaper stainless steel bearings as well.
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit760
If you go for all stainless steel, just make sure your good with cleaning your bearings often.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Cheers mac are the ceramic bearing user friendly for fishing or are the more so for the casting lads?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I like the ceramic for fishing. The general idea is that because the balls are ceramic, they do not rust and if you are a little neglegient with your reel servicing you will get less problems with ceramic. You will get small amounts of rusting and pitting with all stainless, unless they are made with 316 (Marine) grade stainless. I don't know of any bearing made that way.

Ceramic bearing are lighter and in general a bit smoother, so they are a bit quicker on start up. This is why the casting guys like them so much. To help in fishing situations, just use a heavier oil in the bearing. Use Red Rocket Fuel or even 3 in 1 oil if you are looking for something heavier. This coupled with good magnetic breaking and you'll be fine. I have 4 and 5 year old ceramic bearings in some of my fishing reels.

Kev

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Cheers mac thanks for the advice ;)
I think I'll have to get a set and give them a go :)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am

i dont use any oil in ceramics it slows them down! thats what your mags are for :lol:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 pm

I like oil in my fishing bearings... Ceramics or otherwise. The outside, races and shields are still stainless, so it adds a layer of protection as well.