WINTER FISH RECEPIES MMMMMMMMMMM.................

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

WINTER FISH RECEPIES MMMMMMMMMMM.................

Postby lugworm » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 pm

right lads im a bit of a cooking feind, i just love cooking :mrgreen: .......jus throwing out this topic out there.........
its mainly cod recepies im after, be it baking, frying, grilling or whatever, its no secret how u cook ur fish or is it????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WESTCORK AND DISTRICT S.A.C.

SPORTSCASTIRELAND
lugworm
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Re: WINTER FISH RECEPIES MMMMMMMMMMM.................

Postby originalsin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Not necessarily a winter cod recipe but my fave has to a Goan fish curry, failing that you can't go wrong with a good ol' fish supper......
Shore 2011 - (9) (4 month season)
Shore 2012 - (26) Species 203 Total fish
Shore 2013 - (16) Dab-5, 5b Rockling-2, Whiting-40, Codling-1, Coalie-1, Pollack-12, Plaice-1, Flounder-2, Bass-1, LSD-4, TB Ray-2, Starry smut-29, Common smut-5, Mackerel-1, Ballan Wrasse-3, Shanny-1,
Shore 2015 - Codling, Whiting, Sea Trout, LSD, 5b Rockling, 3b Rockling, Dab,

Boat 2012 - (11) Species 111 Total fish
Boat 2013 - (3) Pollock-1, Coalie-1,Codling-1, (3 Total fish)

Never argue with an idiot..... They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

11/1/2000 Never forgotten

For this message the author originalsin has received thanks:
lugworm (Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:42 am)
originalsin
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby Determined Dan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:12 am

Hi could some one tell me the best recipe for fish/ pollack/ coalie batter, I keep getting it wrong and it don't look or taste good. Good idea with this post lug worm , I wish I could be of more help.
20107xthornback ray. {PB 14.5LB TB RAY} 1xpouting. 1xcodling.11xdogfish. 25xflounder.1xshore rock ling. 177xmac 4xturbot.1 bull huss.1sea trout. 1 MAYO BASS.2011. WHITING X9. COALIE X3. FLOUNDER X7. DOGGIE X8. THORNIEX3. CODLINGX1. SEA SCORPIONX1. 5 BEARDED ROCKLINGX4. SEATROUT X1. TURBOT X1. POLLACK X7. 3 BEARD ROCKLING .2012 SEATROUT X3. TURBOT X5. FLOUNDER X7. 3B,ROCKLINGX1.DOG .
. 2013.shore species ..... Flounder, dog conger pollack sea trout plaice. Gobyx3 wrasse cork wing wrasse Huss scorpion fish sp. coalie .
Determined Dan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 145 times

Postby lugworm » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:40 am

Determined Dan wrote:Hi could some one tell me the best recipe for fish/ pollack/ coalie batter, I keep getting it wrong and it don't look or taste good. Good idea with this post lug worm , I wish I could be of more help.

i dont have a deep fryer in my gaf, but what i normally do if im pan frying a cod is skin it first thing anyway, and flour it on both sides generously, then into a piping hot pan, sizzle one side sizzle other side and turn the heat down and cook through.......then season with what ever you want (i like black papper or cajun spice mix........) fry until you get a nice golden crispy coating from the flour......nice equivelant to batter :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SPORTSCASTIRELAND
lugworm
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby roryodonnell » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:12 am

Cod baked, a layer of pesto and then some breadcrumbs, squeeze of lemon to serve. Not my favourite, but my wife loves it
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby red » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 am

lugworm wrote:its mainly cod recepies im after,

thats just showing off danny!! :lol

i dont eat a lot of it but the odd time i do i like it breaded.
did the fish into seasoned flour, then into bowl with beaten egg, then into breadcrumbs and pop in the oven till just starting to go golden.
you can mix whatever you like into the breadcrumbs for extra flavour, a pinch of chili is nice.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby hugo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:42 am

We got a good few cod up to 9lb just yards off the local cliffs this year and this what Herself did with the biggest one:

Gutted and cleaned it but left it whole, head tail an all. In the cavity she put a couple of lemon slices, a couple of onion slices, and some fresh dill herb (from Tesco). She then put the fish on a roasting tray, got a big pack of cheap cooking salt and covered the cod with a good layer of it. It then went into a hot oven to be roasted for about half an hour or so (it was a big fish). When it came out, the salt had caked dry onto the skin so that the whole lot could be peeled off the flesh. The result was the tastiest cod I ever ate.

I was never gone on the taste of very fresh pollock until a chef told me another salt trick: after filleting, pour sea salt over the skin side for up to an hour, then wash it off, dredge in cream flour, and shallow fry in hot rapeseed oil. Apparently there's some urea or something in the skin slime and the salt sucks it all out. Freezing for a few days has the same effect.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby mickser » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 am

your favorite bear batter i use Bulmers cider makes a nice tasty batter
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby tight lines » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

this is a nice way of doing cod,pollock, and bass first fillet and debone the fish then skin it then flour well on both sides heat a pan with a small bit of oil untill piping hot add the fish and cook on the first side until golden brown then add a good nob of butter and a good helping of chilly and garlic flake then turn the the fish over and cook the other side untill golden brown all the while keeping basting the top layer with the melted butter chilly and garlic when cook serve with thick cut chips and pour the last of the melted butter chilly and garlic over the top and enjoy also works well with most white fish

For this message the author tight lines has received thanks:
lugworm (Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:23 am)
tight lines
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 471 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 am

U tease so that must mean you have caught a few Al..... :lol: :lol: :lol: talk soon mate
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby peakle » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:41 pm

FISH CAKES

Ingredients

Equal quantities of fish and potatoes - I use cod or ling, smoked mackeral or salmon or any smoked fish for extra je nais quo

Fresh parsley (simple herb to grow, I’ve a parsley tree in the back garden!)

Chopped Onion

Fresh breadcrumbs

Few eggs

Flour

Butter, salt and pepper (for the spuds)

Method

Boil the spuds and mash up with butter, salt and pepper

Bake the fish slow and low for 25 minutes (feel free to add some butter/bay leaves)

Flake the cooked fish and mix well with the mashed potatoes

Add finely chopped parsley and onion

…..Now for the fun (and messy) bit….

Get three bowls. Put flour in the first, beaten egg in the second and bread crumbs in the third

Mould the fish mix into patties

Dip in each of the three bowls

Set on a tray and place in the fridge to harden up

After that, pan fry or wrap in tin foil and freeze for future quick meals.
species 2014(8)cod,coalie,flounder,dog, pollack,bass, turbot,twaite shad

specimen 2014 twaite shad
species 2013(36)flounder, shore rockling, dog, coalie,cod, whiting, dab, poor cod, pollack, grey gurnard, red gurnard, pouting, haddock, thornback ray, grey mullet,ballen wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, scorpion fish, bass,blonde ray, plaice, herring, conger, golden grey mullet, red band fish, turbot, ling, garfish, scad, gold shinny, tom pot blenny, smooth hound, bullhuss, cork wing, dragonet, lesser weaver, painted ray.

specimen 2013 16 golden grey mullet, 1 scad, 1 red gurnard.

species 2012(39) whiting, coalie, flounder,dogfish, poor cod, cod, bass, shore rockling, ling,cuckoo wrasse, ballen, grey gurnard, red gurnard, three bearded rockling, mackeral, plaice, dab, pollack, grey mullet,haddock.conger,gold shinny,cork wing, blonde ray, lesser weaver, megrim, dragonet, thornback , tub gurnard, blue shark, scad, bull huss, tompot blenny, sea scorpion, goby, painted , garfish, pouting,

specimen2012 plaice red gurnard

For this message the author peakle has received thanks:
lugworm (Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:26 am)
peakle
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 67 times

Postby lugworm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:27 am

not dats what im talkin bout........ :mrgreen:

SPORTSCASTIRELAND
lugworm
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers