Unhooking a ray???

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Best way to do it??...have been doin alright with long nose pliers but it can take a bit longer than I'd like...
I don't have a t-bar or degouger...and I'm guessing ghese would be quicker!!..

It's more the technique I'm asking about...
Cheers

Re: Unhooking a ray???

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:03 pm

ya get urself a disgorger, there great for every type of fish quick and easy only a 5 yo yos for 1

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm

what methods people have for unhooking ray:

I have a larger set of forceps which I have modified by grinding about 20mm off the length of the jaws, this allows a firmer, stronger grip on the larger sizes of hooks. I use them if the hook is inside the mouth of rays, huss and conger or if I cannot get a good grip on a lip hooked fish.
If I can I lock the jaws onto the bend of the hook and either push down or curl the hook around until it comes out.

I use pliers but only to take the bait off the hooks of a deep hooked rays mouth to expose the hooks. I then use a Gemini Disgorger NOT a T-BAR as with a T-BAR you cannot push the hook deeper into the rays throat to free the barb. A T-Bar works best on mouth hooked fish. Once the Barb is free the hook is guided out of the throat. This is easy on a single hook by sliding the disgorger down the line until it meets the bare hook. On a pennel I go directly to each hook to put the top of the disgorger around it and do one at a time.

read more of the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30031&start=40&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Cheers lads...

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 am

use circle hooks if youre having trouble with deep hooking. i wont go into it here.... google it.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 am

Eoin wrote:use circle hooks if youre having trouble with deep hooking. i wont go into it here.... google it.

i dont think a circle hook would do any good. ray are slow at taking a bait they dont hit and run like most fish and a circle hook needs a fish to hit and run for it to work the ray would prob have the bait down his neck befor it moves off you would also have a hard time threading a sand eel

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:27 am

i normally remove it after i have the wings off ,much easier to get a grip :wink:

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 pm

roger de dodger wrote:i normally remove it after i have the wings off ,much easier to get a grip :wink:

yeah, and after that don't forget to take the cheeks out, the best part of a ray :) biggest advantage (apart from another delicious meal) is that the hook normally falls out on it's own during the entire procedure :mrgreen:

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 am

ShaneH wrote:
Eoin wrote:use circle hooks if youre having trouble with deep hooking. i wont go into it here.... google it.

i dont think a circle hook would do any good. ray are slow at taking a bait they dont hit and run like most fish and a circle hook needs a fish to hit and run for it to work the ray would prob have the bait down his neck befor it moves off you would also have a hard time threading a sand eel

Got loads on circle hooks, try it you might have a pleasant surprise. hope this is helpful for you.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am

Eoin wrote:
ShaneH wrote:

Got loads on circle hooks, try it you might have a pleasant surprise. hope this is helpful for you.

as said you would have a hard time threading a sand eel ill stick to what i know works :D

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:21 pm

if fishing deep water for them i tend to flatten the barb with a pliers b4 fishing makes for a much easyer hook release

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:28 am

i got myself one of these http://www.thelongfin.com/rapala-9-clas ... mover.html and its great for unhooking ray

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 am

gfkelly1969 wrote:i got myself one of these http://www.thelongfin.com/rapala-9-clas ... mover.html and its great for unhooking ray

How does that work??

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 am

you slide the hook on the end of it over the fishing hook and squeeze the 2 handles together and it will grip the hook tight and you can push/pull and twist the hook any way
you can see a better photo here http://www.rapalaworld.com/products/hook-removers the 9` one is good for huss,ray,dogs,conger and other bigger fish

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:32 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOOK-REMOVAL- ... 2c636f777e

The T-Bar can be very extreme on some fish, This is the best I have seen, there are a few different models but they all do the same thing, there is also videos on youtube. Fast effective and gental on the fish

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Jeez lads all these fancy gadgets....all u need is a tbar mate seriously its not "etreme" on fish its fast and efficient.......all this bout hurting the fish......the fish is being hauled from 60m +, by a hook!!! a tbar wont do any more damage than that.....its very quick and fish can b releasd quicker......that goes for any fish.....once there not after gulleting the hook.....hope this helps......