soft plastics

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

soft plastics

Postby agardiner22 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Cant wait for the weekend to come, trying out soft plastics Texas style with my son for the first time in clare (weather permitting). any secret tips,advice, cheats for me?????????
Always CAR! unless its a pollock...!

2012 species: Pollock, Mack, Coalfish, Gurnard, Bullhuss, Dogfish and Wrasse.
Would do anything for a bass!
agardiner22
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 68 times

Re: soft plastics

Postby The Austrian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

bit of an minefield man, check here first I'd say viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39939
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby redzerologhlen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:30 am

Just flick it very slowly back into you, after a few flicks let it settle and repeat again. Pollock have a habit off following the lure to the shore before any take, If you feel the slightest pluck from one let the line go slack for a few seconds, It wont be your first instinct but you will miss a lot of them otherwise when they are feeding a bit finicky like this. Some days they take the lure before you even get a chance to start working it. The wrasse are pretty much at your feet, If you feel a pluck from one stay jigging the lure in that spot and they will stay plucking until you hook them, in other words dont be deterred if you miss one the first time because it will go for it again straight away. Lastly go into the small gate to the south rather than the usual gate, It doesnt see as much fishing pressure and I know Neil had a few wrasse there earlier in the year along with some good pollock.
Species list 2013.Conger, Launce, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Dogfish, 3b rockling, Bull Huss, Mackeral, Tub Gurnard.

Species list 2012. Mackeral, Pollock, Coalie, Bass, Dab, Weeverfish, Bull Huss, Poor Cod, Grey Gurnard, Ballan wrasse, Long spined sea scorpion, Conger, Pouting.

For this message the author redzerologhlen has received thanks:
agardiner22 (Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm)
redzerologhlen
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby agardiner22 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Redzer, i aint headin up to that mark as i am not sure where to park, headin around the kilkee area

agardiner22
SAI Hammerhead

Postby redzerologhlen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 pm

agardiner22 wrote:Thanks for the tips.
Redzer, i aint headin up to that mark as i am not sure where to park, headin around the kilkee area

I was talking about your usual rock mark up here :wink: Best of luck anyway and watch the weather down there, hopefully you will have a few fish :)
Species list 2013.Conger, Launce, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Dogfish, 3b rockling, Bull Huss, Mackeral, Tub Gurnard.

Species list 2012. Mackeral, Pollock, Coalie, Bass, Dab, Weeverfish, Bull Huss, Poor Cod, Grey Gurnard, Ballan wrasse, Long spined sea scorpion, Conger, Pouting.

For this message the author redzerologhlen has received thanks:
agardiner22 (Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 pm)
redzerologhlen
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby baitdigger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm

park up where-ever you see rocks meeting water you will be ok :D

If you are going down to kilkee follow the road around past the coast road and find the diamond cafe at high water and fish anywhere you can get down to. At low water you can look anywhere along the pollack holes. Either that or if you are looking for wrasse head out for the bridges of ross.
The Truth is often stumbled upon by men, most of whom pick themselves up and hurry along as if nothing ever happened.
https://baitdigger.wordpress.com

For this message the author baitdigger has received thanks:
agardiner22 (Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 pm)
baitdigger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby joebhoy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 pm

baitdigger wrote:park up where-ever you see rocks meeting water you will be ok :D

If you are going down to kilkee follow the road around past the coast road and find the diamond cafe at high water and fish anywhere you can get down to. At low water you can look anywhere along the pollack holes. Either that or if you are looking for wrasse head out for the bridges of ross.

Neil I have been down to ross twice since we were down and both times the marks have been un fishable due to swell. Absolutely gutted as I had a 2 hour trek getting there but relocated to the estuary and managed to get my first Rays :D

Hope your keeping well mate
joebhoy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 81 times

Postby agardiner22 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 pm

tanks guys

agardiner22
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers