Winds and Tides

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Winds and Tides

Postby GCR » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 am

Hi All

Not sure if it is the right place to ask this but does anybody have any good resources for info on winds, tides, currents and there effect on fishing. I know there is plenty of tide charts and that, and have been through a few of the websites on it, even went to local library to see had they any info. But finding it hard to link that small bit of knowledge into something more practical in terms of fishing.

I know alot of this is gained from experience and I understand people are not going to give away any of there own secrets, but just looking for a point in the right direction.

Cheers

G
GCR

Re: Winds and Tides

Postby ShaneH » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:54 am

You will just have to get out there fish different marks in all sorts of weather and tides
As you said it's all gained from experience no two marks will fish the same
Sportscast Ireland
ShaneH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 284 times

Postby jhcabs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:40 am

Hi mate

I'm actually researching the exact same thing and only put up a thread on it recently. The guys are right that things come with exprience but i think thats more like 50% exprience and the other 50% is handed down by other anglers in the know which is not shared lightly. I have found a lot of useful info on reading the water, tides and their effects on baitfood movement. I've also found loads on reading weather charts and surfing websites gave me lots of info on undertsanding the surf. I also found some university students white papers on certain feeding patterns of irish fish but i'm only at it a few days. I'm really new to it myself but if any will help i'll pass the details on.
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby doggy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:41 pm

your best bet is to try find some good anglers who are fishing for years and know there stuff and go for a session with them and you will learn so much from them , its the easiest way i found. and dont be afraid to ask as them any question u have no matter how dump you might think it sounds, anglers wont share much on the website cause every tom, dick and harry will read it, wouldnt blame them really i found if they had to learn things the hard way they wont share it easy, my two cents bro. best of luck

For this message the author doggy has received thanks:
ShaneH (Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 am)
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby jhcabs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:49 pm

doggy wrote:your best bet is to try find some good anglers who are fishing for years and know there stuff and go for a session with them and you will learn so much from them , its the easiest way i found. and dont be afraid to ask as them any question u have no matter how dump you might think it sounds, anglers wont share much on the website cause every tom, dick and harry will read it, wouldnt blame them really i found if they had to learn things the hard way they wont share it easy, my two cents bro. best of luck

I agree with you that the website is not a suitable place for people to give up their best kept secrets and tactics. wouldn't do any good to the sport, conservation and people passionate about it. however I still don't think that modern anglers have learned anywhere near 50% of what they know the hard way. The real exprienced guys from the 60's and 70's wrote the book on it. its just being passed down the chain
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Postby doggy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm

ask people around you area, people with boats in there garden is good start, u be surprised at how many anglers that will live right beside you and they will be glad to show you some tips and tricks, much easier when you face to face when explaining things, well for me it is anyway
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby doggy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I agree with you that the website is not a suitable place for people to give up their best kept secrets and tactics. wouldn't do any good to the sport, conservation and people passionate about it. however I still don't think that modern anglers have learned anywhere near 50% of what they know the hard way. The real exprienced guys from the 60's and 70's wrote the book on it. its just being passed down the chain[/quote]

fair enough man but not one of us could say for sure witch way anyone has learned to fish the ratio is going differ greatly from person to person, like some guys i know come from fishing familys that every member in there gaf fishs, so much easier for them to learn the ropes, there shown everything unlike guys from a totally none fishing family will learn most there stuff the hard way, just my opinion bro
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby GCR » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:03 am

Cheers for the responses Lads.

As said was just looking for some pointers, mainly in the way people approach it. Going to start keeping a log of the conditions and the catchs when I go out hopefully in a while I will start to build up something worth while. Going to look into the local clubs too.

jhcabs wrote:Hi mate

I'm actually researching the exact same thing and only put up a thread on it recently. The guys are right that things come with exprience but i think thats more like 50% exprience and the other 50% is handed down by other anglers in the know which is not shared lightly. I have found a lot of useful info on reading the water, tides and their effects on baitfood movement. I've also found loads on reading weather charts and surfing websites gave me lots of info on undertsanding the surf. I also found some university students white papers on certain feeding patterns of irish fish but i'm only at it a few days. I'm really new to it myself but if any will help i'll pass the details on.

Cheers mate, found some stuff as well, just trying to work through it. Got in touch with a guy who does some research on similar area, going to get some info off him, if get anything of interest or any recommendations will pass it on.

G
GCR

Postby kstaff » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:25 pm

Joining a club and keeping a log will give you a great start in learning quickly. Where are you based?
Blue n White is the new Black!!!

For this message the author kstaff has received thanks:
Jayball10 (Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm)
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby Jayball10 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 pm

kstaff wrote:Joining a club and keeping a log will give you a great start in learning quickly. Where are you based?

Best advice on the matter. I joined SAISAC this year and the lads are great. Very helpful bunch. I also keep a log of every fish I caught. Tide states, Moon Phase, etc... I should keep a log of the blanks too but I dont have enough space on my hard drive :)
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly...
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 120 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jhcabs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

GCR wrote:Cheers for the responses Lads.

As said was just looking for some pointers, mainly in the way people approach it. Going to start keeping a log of the conditions and the catchs when I go out hopefully in a while I will start to build up something worth while. Going to look into the local clubs too.

jhcabs wrote:Hi mate

Cheers mate, found some stuff as well, just trying to work through it. Got in touch with a guy who does some research on similar area, going to get some info off him, if get anything of interest or any recommendations will pass it on.

G

Yeah, please do mate. that would be great
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Jayball10 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm

GCR wrote:Going to start keeping a log of the conditions and the catchs when I go out hopefully in a while I will start to build up something worth while. Going to look into the local clubs too.

You'd be amazed at the patterns ya find. Im fishing nearly 3 years and only a few weeks ago I ran reports from my log spreadsheet on the moon phases and was pretty impressed with the findings. I know obviously if an angler coincides his session to suit a particular moon phase it wont work but I go out whenever I can so it definitely helped with the stats. Next years Im gonna start recording blanks and air pressure.
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly...
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 120 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby chilly123 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:13 pm

Try windguru
chilly123
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times
Blog: View Blog (14)

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers