Do check the strength of your (old) line !!

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Do check the strength of your (old) line !!

Postby blowin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:13 am

I'm sure we all know that it is recommended to change our mono line , or at least reverse it on the reel , at the end of each season . I never bother , only get around to it when I've lost enough to notice .
I had also assumed that unused line would keep forever on the original spool . Have just found out that this definitely isn't the case .

Following several suspicious snap-offs I've just tested the "new" spool which has been in the box for a number of years . Original BS is rated as 30 lb . On 8 out of 8 attempts to lift a bucket with it ( ie without a fish jerking about ) it snapped at weights between 16 and a max of 21 lb .
Predictably it always sheered at the knot but strangely it was always at the top one of the two swivels . I can't think why . Anyway , it has gone straight into the bin ............. or strictly speaking into a bag for incineration so it doesn't entangle any creatures .

It could well be a false economy to save the few euro which new line would cost if you're going to spend money on an outing .

For this message the author blowin has received thanks: 2
JPA (Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 am), seaotter (Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 pm)
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Re: Do check the strength of your (old) line !!

Postby jhcabs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 am

I agree and i think i just learned the hard way. I was out last night fishing and i had two lovely big takes. serious rod benders. the first was definitely on, pulled hard as hell and snapped my line above where the shockleader started. no evidence of a leader knot coming untied just a clean snap. the second fish i lost two and when i went to pull the bits of peeler off the snood snapped off in my hand. Haven't used this line in about 5-6 years.

Upgrading to braid on monday.
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby corbyeire » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 am

always cut a few feet of line that was near a knot or swivel - it cant weaken, especially if it hasnt been changed in a while

good luck with the braid - mind your fingers
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby jhcabs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 am

I've been reading up a bit on braid and i'm very unsure now.

Its not extra casting distance i want, i wanted better feel and bite detection however without the stretch i could lose bigger fish.

Would the mono shock leader and trace not give me the stretch i need to land sometime over 5 pound?

Never used braid before
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 76 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers