kill grunards??

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

kill grunards??

Postby doggy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Grey Grunard, Chelidonicthys gurnardus

Irish Record Fish: We have withdrawn the details on the Irish record and specimen weights as the current IFSC rules require anglers kill all such fish, hardly sporting or conservation minded, is it?

hey guys just wondering what this is about?
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

Re: kill grunards??

Postby bpmurray » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 am

Presumably the grey gurnard population has dropped to critical levels. This has been done for a few other species, most notably common skate. The rules for specimens & records are that they should be weighed on land and, in the case of some species where there's a chance of confusion with another species, they want to see the body.

I wasn't aware of this particular one - I invited one home for dinner on Sunday, and now I'm feeling rather guilty.
Species 2022: Halibut, Coalfish, Cod, Haddock, Pollack, Whiting, Mackerel, Wolffish, Redfish, Torsk
bpmurray
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby JimC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am

doggy wrote:Grey Grunard, Chelidonicthys gurnardus

Irish Record Fish: We have withdrawn the details on the Irish record and specimen weights as the current IFSC rules require anglers kill all such fish, hardly sporting or conservation minded, is it?

I take it that this quote is lifted from the the "Species Guide" accessed from the front page of the site. You will notice that that is quoted as "Irish Specimen Fish Committee & Sea Fish Listing 2004" there have been many changes since then.

I would suggest that the views expressed above at that time were the views of the page creator and not necessarily the view of the site members!

In the past there were a few species where the body had to be sent to the ISFC for confirmation of ID. This was the case where there could be confusion with similar species eg: Grey Gurnard could be confused with Red Gurnard and Red Gurnard could be confused with Tub Gurnard. Another example would be Grey Mullet are confused with Golden Grey mullet and Thin Lipped are also part of the equation. At the time the IFSC required the body for confirmation of ID.

At present the committee are happy to accept decent photos for ID purpose (where the list says they are required). Photos for ID are at the risk for the angler - in other words if the committee cannot positively ID from the pictures then the claim is rejected. The rule requiring fish to be weighed on land still stands. This can be a serious issue for some boat anglers who are intent on releasing their specimen after photo weighing etc. Most are happy enough where the fish is an "edible" species but many refuse to kill "inedible" species where they cannot weigh on land and then release. You can see why there would be little or no Blue Sharks claimed.

There is a pilot project of "length based specimens" for tope underway at present so the fish does not have to be weighed on land and can be released immediately.

From a shore anglers point of view the only requirements are a registered scales (in all cases) and photo ID (in some cases only). You do not even have to have a picture of a bass to claim a specimen fish! Fish can be captured, weighed, Photo'ed and released and claimed.

The rules are clear and transparent and are all here:http://www.irish-trophy-fish.com/
There is a world of interesting info on that site.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion!
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby doggy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:36 am

cheers guys , still a bit confused it says it ''require anglers kill all such fish'' its also says you can only get them at distance cast? i got one a float? no? must be a different fish altogether :oops:
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby doggy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 am

n yea it was in the species list at front of site
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 pm

doggy wrote:cheers guys , still a bit confused it says it ''require anglers kill all such fish'' its also says you can only get them at distance cast? i got one a float? no? must be a different fish altogether :oops:

''require anglers kill all such fish''
- in 2004 if you caught a specimen grey gurnard you would have to kill the fish and send it for positive ID in order to claim a specimen.... it would not be the case now.

"its also says you can only get them at distance cast? i got one a float? no? must be a different fish altogether"
Don't believe all you read on the internet :D :D
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby doggy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:34 pm

cheers bud im with u now thanks
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers