advise for new equipment set up

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

advise for new equipment set up

Postby jhcabs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi guys

Looking for a bit of advise. I'm just back fishing after a five year break.

Going to buy two new rods and reels tomorrow. As always my brian goes crazy with all the choices and since everything in fishing is so dam expensive i worry i'll get the wrong stuff.

I'm a shore angler, sometimes estuaries, and the odd times rocks and piers. I've never caught a fish on a lure but i'm going to try a bit this year.

Out of all my gear the only rod left unbroken in a 7 foot abu garcia spinning rod rod which is pretty good and well keep it for trying spinning out.

So from the few shops i've been in i've kinda temporaryly choosen the following two set ups;

Spro fast forward 4.20m beachcaster. 4 - 6 oz nice and light - for long range smoothound, ray and scatching
Shimano Nazi 7000

Penn Powerstix Pro Surf Bass 11ft 6, 2 - 4 oz - for short range, flatties, bass, esturay fishing and the sorts,
Penn Sargus Metal Spinning Reel SG6000 - use with braid as i'll be fishing close in

Would really like some feedback as i want to get the right set up to last me a good few years.

Cheers

J
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 76 times

Re: advise for new equipment set up

Postby Kibo37 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Advice I'd give is wait a week until you get some good feedback of the lads on here don't rush into it, plenty of time to fish :D
Kibo37
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby henrykelly10 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:48 pm

no harm looking on Don Deal guys giving up the hobby or some win fishing gear in competitions,has that man says dont rush in :wink:
henrykelly10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby kstaff » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am

Where are you based in the country and whats ur budget?
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby jhcabs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 am

Based in Dublin

Budget would be about 350 - 400. I had some extra money from a holiday that i didn't end up going on so wanted to treat myself to something. I've been fishing for nearly 20 years on and off. the last few years i've been too busy with work but what ever i get i want to make sure its lasts a good few years.

For me anyway its always been about compact equipment. the two rods i was looking at our 3 pce and should fit in my boot. i have a 3" - 6" tripod and holdall to match so i'd like to keep the whole set up that way.
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Its very hard to reccommend rods to someone as everyone has different casting ability and potential but the reels are easy just buy shimano's. which ever 7000 -14000 ones fit within you budget, it does not matter to much as they are pretty much all very good.

Just remember that ,with rods, you get what you pay for and you might get a much better second hand one on here than you will buying new from a shop.

If you could get a few casts of different rods it might give you more idea. There might be a few lads on here that are local to you willing to give you a hand.

There are a few very good 15ft 3 piece rods being made at the moment and they are not overly expensive.
Two of these would cover your distance as well as your in close stuff too.
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

KStaff winning matches is the new black.
Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby jhcabs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 pm

thanks for the advise.

I think taking my time is the best approach. I can be a bit of an impulse buyer esepcially with boys toys.

might have a look on done deal too

Cheers
jhcabs
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers