6500 going into freespool under weight

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

6500 going into freespool under weight

Postby beachbuddy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Just wondering has anyone ideas as to why a 6500 ct goes into freespool while reeling[everything locked down] in even under very little weight.Never had an issue with similar reels.The reel is a few years old but appeared ok after i serviced it but, first night out with it and it let me down badly last night.
Kind of thinking its seen a few too many weedfish in its life.Any ideas :?:
Thanks.
beachbuddy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 264 times

Re: 6500 going into freespool under weight

Postby red » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

I serviced my one last year and got brave and took the handle side apart. Put everything back together and the spool spun under very light pressure even when the drag was on full. Thought i broke something so handed it into dan lynch who easily sorted it out. He said i had put 2 washers in the wrong way so could be something simple like that if its been opened up lately?
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby beachbuddy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Cheers Denis,
everything looks fine with it,maybe the gears are stripped is what im thinking eitherway will try get it sorted asap as its worth saving.
beachbuddy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kilkeeconger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Have you alway's slackened of the star drag after every session?...... because it should be done
and if you have not then this could be the cause of it going loose when under pressure,if not that
then i suggest you send it of to abu for a service,i have had 2 of these reel's for 10 yr's and have
never suffered with this problem,oh and as far as i know abu service's are cheap,just google to
get a contact number for them.

Hope This Helps!!!!

Good Luck

K.C
Species 2009 Lsd,Whiting,Ray,Mackerel.Flounder,Turbot,Dab,Pollock

Species 2010 lsd,pollock,flounder,mackerel,mullet,Wrasse,Triggerfish
kilkeeconger
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Preston » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Pm sent mate
2013 species : coalies,flounder(pb),whiting,dogfish,5 beard rockling
2012 species : cod,whiting,coalies;flounder,5 beard rockling,bass,dogfish,dab
Preston
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby anto2121 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 pm

happened me twice before, more then likely its the iar bearing inside the handle thats causing it. first of all if it was ok before you cleaned it then maybe grease got into it which can make them slip, that was the case on one of my 6500's, i just cleaned it out with tinners and a small paint brush and used light oil on it and its fine ever since. then on another one the iar bearing needed replacing because the outer shell had rusted.

hope this helps
anto
anto2121
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby beachbuddy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm

kilkeeconger wrote:Have you alway's slackened of the star drag after every session?...... because it should be done
and if you have not then this could be the cause of it going loose when under pressure,if not that
then i suggest you send it of to abu for a service,i have had 2 of these reel's for 10 yr's and have
never suffered with this problem,oh and as far as i know abu service's are cheap,just google to
get a contact number for them.

Hope This Helps!!!!

Good Luck

K.C

Thanks for the tip.I always do similar but the reel was on its maiden voyage with me so not sure of any previous issues.All the bearings etc are perfect.A word from a wise man has given me a bit of advice so will try it out.Failing that its a full proper service.
Thanks everyone for the advice,shes a mobile lead launcher 8)
beachbuddy
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers