limpets

Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm

are limpets any good for bait..? and if so what could you expect to catch with them.

Re: limpets

Fri May 25, 2012 2:40 am

limpets are a very good bait for wrasse

Fri May 25, 2012 2:49 am

gfkelly1969 wrote:limpets are a very good bait for wrasse

Ya i hear there good for wrasse on a float never tryed tho.........

Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 am

I've caught red cod on them and wrasse

Fri May 25, 2012 9:52 am

great wrasse bait, most of the other fish seem uninterested in them apart from many of the mini species
i reckon

Fri May 25, 2012 4:24 pm

I have to agree with the above,good wrasse bait but never had anything else on them myself.

Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 pm

lugworm wrote:
gfkelly1969 wrote:limpets are a very good bait for wrasse

Ya i hear there good for wrasse on a float never tryed tho.........

i got a load of wrasse on limpets on the float but found periwinkle even better for some of the smaller wrasse

Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Big Bass wrote:I have to agree with the above,good wrasse bait but never had anything else on them myself.

I have had pollack and coalies on limpets too

Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 am

thanks for the replys guys..will have to give them a go next time am out.

Sat May 26, 2012 6:54 am

Their supposed to be good for bass after a storm. Great wrasse bait though

Sat May 26, 2012 9:04 am

last summer they worked very well for pollock for us

Sun May 27, 2012 1:33 pm

I fish in Donegal near Burtonport - they are lethal there for Wrasse - have also caught Coalies on them

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 pm

tried an experiment b4. got some fox armamesh (a fine mesh tube that dosnt dissolve used for carp) tied a knot in one, stuffed it with limpet gut and tied a knot in the other end to make a sausage. this could then be cast without flying off. well a wonder bait was an under statement. just a lot of effort.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:28 am

Sounds interesting . Presumably when you say limpet "gut" you mean just that ie don't include the tough "foot" ?
Cheers

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 pm

blowin wrote:Sounds interesting . Presumably when you say limpet "gut" you mean just that ie don't include the tough "foot" ?
Cheers

yes, no foot.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 pm

I tried limpets on floats for wrasse after we ran out of ragworm. Not a tap and we had been catching plenty of wrasse on the rag.
Just after reading here maybe we were fishing in wrong. We just put the insides all on the hook. should you only use the guts?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:17 pm

1 of the lads lost a nice bass last summer on limpet in dungarvan :shock:

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:09 pm

finding nemo wrote:I tried limpets on floats for wrasse after we ran out of ragworm. Not a tap and we had been catching plenty of wrasse on the rag.
Just after reading here maybe we were fishing in wrong. We just put the insides all on the hook. should you only use the guts?

they will take any bit or all or it in my experience, even wee bits of the foot. but the guts seem best.. with or without the foot

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:28 pm

I know someone who had an 11lb Bass in Wexford on them also after a storm, have always found them good for wrasse

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Cool gonna give them another go over the next few days.
Prob get a monster now. Ha!