Snood lengths

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Snood lengths

Postby Noelo5 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:34 am

Hi just want ta ask a question about snoods iv always thought my snoods where long enough, on till I join my local fishing club a few months ago and all the lads that where there a while had really long trace a snood lengths is this important and those it make much more of a deference.. Because iv had look in the nights we went out with the club, and when I went myself I caught a good few...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noelo5
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 9 times

Re: Snood lengths

Postby tomgrey » Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 am

I think myself that it doesn't really matter, I suppose it depends on the species your fishing for, the ground your fishing over, whether your fishing in daylight or at night and how you want your bait to be presented. Longer snoods if fished off the bottom will flap around more in the current or surf which might be what is called for but in rough conditions maybe not. Long snoods often get tangled up more frequently when casting if not clipped down and will almost always twist up on the retrieve. If fishing on the bottom with say a running ledger just once there is about 18inches or more from your lead I think that should be ok. On a flapper rig I usually keep my snoods to about 10-18inches and I have no problems. I also keep my crimps beads and swivels as small as I can get away with safely. Couldn't tell you the sizes off the top of my head to be honest. I guess it comes down to personal preference but I find, keep em short enough to tangle less. Hope that helps.
Species 2012:

Cod, Whiting, flounder, coalfish, bass, pollack, sea trout, poor cod, pouting, dogfish, sea scorpion, 3 bearded rockling, blonde ray, painted ray, turbot.
tomgrey
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Snood lengths

Postby Noelo5 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 am

Ya thanks for the reply sappose maybe use long snood on the caim nights and short for when it's rough maybe..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noelo5
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 9 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers