Striking on what bite!

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Re: Striking on what bite!

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:19 am

Tommy B wrote:Rampant

I dont agree with you at all on this, How is it a "cant answer question"?

.[/quote]

Rampant you have the medals for not striking the fish straight away and rockhopper has the results with striking straight away... so what is the answer?
Really depends on what you are fishing for and the way you are fishing. I would agree with you and rockhopper but I wouldnt pick one over the other.

Tommy[/quote]

I am not knocking rockhunter in any way, he is obviously an excellent angler and his reports are always a good read but he doesn't say how many fish he misses.

I still don't agree with you that its a unanswerable question.
How can you not pick one technique over the other, you either strike or don't strike......... you cant do both ?
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

KStaff winning matches is the new black.
Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby RockHunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 am

Rampent Wreckfish wrote: am not knocking rockhunter in any way, he is obviously an excellent angler and his reports are always a good read but he doesn't say how many fish he misses.

Thanks - praise from the master is praise indeed :D
I do miss a few - but its usually a good knock on the rod and the fish is gone by the time I have picked it up.
I have noticed that at times bass will readily take the bait - as in the session a few weeks ago when I had 19. I didn't need to strike then, most of the fish grabbed the bait, hooked themselves, and ran slackliners in towards the shore. But other times they behave much more timidly - as on my last session on 1st April. They seemed to be tentatively picking up the bait but dropping it right away. I had five bass that night, but probably had at least 15 bites which I didn't have a chance to strike, I was either sitting down (I had a long day working in the garden and my back was aching - I normally stand close to the rod and grab it the instant I see a tap, or hold the rod until I feel a tug) or casting out the other rod.

Of course one explanation could be hook sharpness! The night I had the 19 bass I had just made up a new bunch of rigs so had brand new hooks. Whereas the night with all the missed bites I was using the same rigs so the hooks were obviously no longer as sharp. I am a bit lazy when it comes to making new rigs or replacing hooks. For the next session I will replace all the hooks and try to refrain from striking and see what happens :!:
Cod season Winter 2013/14: 117 cod (best fish: 6.5 lbs)
Cod season Winter 2014/15: 193 cod (best fish: 4.25 lbs)

Bass Totals:
2007: 1
2008: 37
2009: 120
2010: 44
2011: 151
2012: 79
2013: 20
2014: 19
2015: 11
2016: 3

http://rockhunter-southcoastbass.blogspot.com
RockHunter
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 366 times

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Credit where its due bud :D

Hook sharpness is very important alright. I probably change my hooks every 60 - 90 minutes depending on how quickly I am turning over casts.
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

KStaff winning matches is the new black.
Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby RockHunter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Rampent Wreckfish wrote:I probably change my hooks every 60 - 90 minutes depending on how quickly I am turning over casts

Sh!t - no wonder you dont need to strike, I definitely need to change my hooks more often!
Cod season Winter 2013/14: 117 cod (best fish: 6.5 lbs)
Cod season Winter 2014/15: 193 cod (best fish: 4.25 lbs)

Bass Totals:
2007: 1
2008: 37
2009: 120
2010: 44
2011: 151
2012: 79
2013: 20
2014: 19
2015: 11
2016: 3

http://rockhunter-southcoastbass.blogspot.com
RockHunter
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 366 times

Postby kopidol » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Rampent Wreckfish wrote:Credit where its due bud :D

Hook sharpness is very important alright. I probably change my hooks every 60 - 90 minutes depending on how quickly I am turning over casts.

really??have to start doing that myself,do you know when hooks loose their sharpness ie.sharpness for fish. or do you just change them every hour?
kopidol
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby rocketman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:49 pm

most match anglers will only use new hooks and for a relatively short time. you must remember though that most match anglers use small hooks often of very fine wire and replace them regularly as it could mean the difference between winning and losing a very important match. for general angling dont get too caught up in this as any hook will catch fish most of the time as long as it doesnt resemble a sharp spoon of course. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rocketman
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby gerty86 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 pm

I am fairly new to sea angling and was wondering the same thing about when to strike. When fishing I have been trying to strike after the first one or two knocks. For some reason I thought it was always necessary to strike and this has resulted in a quite a few missed fish. I am going to try to let the fish hook themselves on my next outing and perhaps just as importantly replace the old hooks on my rigs! Always great info to be found on this site...
gerty86
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 44 times

Striking on what bite!

Postby Donagh » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 pm

I would never reuse hooks unless their 6/0 or larger. I use a sharpening stone for my pulley rigs as the point is quickly over ground.
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Eoin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:46 pm

if the fish are not unionised then it is an unofficial strike! :lol:
Eoin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby petekd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 pm

I second everything Rampent said, absolutely no need whatsoever to strike. There is enough resistance with your submerged line, even with a rolling lead to set the hook. I never strike fish, lads yanking into fish are more at risk of yanking the hook out than anything else. Even on the boat, fishing for finicky little wrasse, a minor lift of the rod tip is plenty enough to set a hook. The only exception on the "no strike" rule for my sea fishing has been when shark fishing to drive home a heavy gauge large hook. Keep your hooks sharp, keep your baits neat and reap the rewards. Leave the striking to the fly fishermen.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D

For this message the author petekd has received thanks:
kopidol (Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 pm)
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby blowin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:40 am

Surely the length of line you have out would have a bearing on this question . I heard that there is so much stretch in mono you would hardly even move the hook at 40 yards . I must try laying it out on the beach , hold the business end and have someone strike with the rod . Could be informative .

For this message the author blowin has received thanks:
davybrown99 (Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:39 pm)
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby chuckaroo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:38 am

blowin wrote:Surely the length of line you have out would have a bearing on this question . I heard that there is so much stretch in mono you would hardly even move the hook at 40 yards . I must try laying it out on the beach , hold the business end and have someone strike with the rod . Could be informative .

good point blowin, certainly an issue a lot of people would say

thinking about it also, i realise that:
a) when i get a good lunging pull when bait fishing then i simply lift into it and start reeling, i dont strike. when a good pull from the fish occurs then the chances are it will or has hooked itself, theres no need strike and possibly rip the hook out
b) when a fish is constantly biting and nibbling, but not providing that confident lunge to indicate its probably hooked, then i do strike on the bigger bites to try and hook the fish. this goes for float fishing too when fish are pulling at the float but not getting hooked
it brings me back to the size of hook issue. as r.wreckfish says, presentation (and hook sharpness) is the key

there is a right answer: striking can be more beneficial depending on type of fishing and fish. beware tentative fish - go try mullet fishing! :D

as for lure fishing, then striking is usually the norm i reckon. can imagine most people striking to set the hook (when they are confident the fish has a proper hold of it.. :wink: )
as for flyfishing? - now thats another story.. :lol:

btw, good luck to those who say they will never strike again :roll: :mrgreen:
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers