Striking on what bite!

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Striking on what bite!

Postby kopidol » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi just wondering when is the best time to strike rod when you get a bite?ive been striking on the second bite but im seem to be taking the bait out of their mouth!
kopidol
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Striking on what bite!

Postby yngkmd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm

it really depends on what tactics\rig you are using, where you are fishing, what kind of ground you are fishing over and what you are fishing for.

can you ellaborate?
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)

For this message the author yngkmd has received thanks:
Seaniebo (Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 pm)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 am

kopidol wrote:Hi just wondering when is the best time to strike rod when you get a bite?ive been striking on the second bite but im seem to be taking the bait out of their mouth!

Just dont strike.
Absolutly no need for it.
Just give the fish a bit of time to take the bait then reel in. Easy.
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

KStaff winning matches is the new black.

For this message the author Rampent Wreckfish has received thanks:
keith (Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:44 pm)
Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby RockHunter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:52 am

Rampent Wreckfish wrote:Just dont strike.

It probably depends on the type of fish - I give flounder, codling plenty of time to take the bait, but if its bass I find they often drop the bait immediately they find some resistance, many a time if I had not struck to set the hook they come off on the retrieve.
I would think that if fishing for sea trout the same would apply.
Cod season Winter 2013/14: 117 cod (best fish: 6.5 lbs)
Cod season Winter 2014/15: 193 cod (best fish: 4.25 lbs)

Bass Totals:
2007: 1
2008: 37
2009: 120
2010: 44
2011: 151
2012: 79
2013: 20
2014: 19
2015: 11
2016: 3

http://rockhunter-southcoastbass.blogspot.com
RockHunter
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 366 times

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 am

RockHunter wrote:
Rampent Wreckfish wrote:Just dont strike.

It probably depends on the type of fish - I give flounder, codling plenty of time to take the bait, but if its Bass I find they often drop the bait immediately they find some resistance, many a time if I had not struck to set the hook they come off on the retrieve.
I would think that if fishing for sea trout the same would apply.

Funny that. I dont ever miss bass bites and I have not struck a fish since I was a kid.
I just let the griplead set the hook for me.
This also helps with catching doubles and "tribbles" .
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Postby rocketman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 am

id imagine rampent wreckfish didnt strike too many bites when he won gold at the world championships in south africa. i know whos advice id be taking.

rocketman
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby kstaff » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:11 pm

I've just emptied all the strikes from my tackle box, it has been decided, striking is out!!! :D
Blue n White is the new Black!!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 pm

would defo agree with rampant wreckfish here
worrying about when to strike a bite tells just of a little bit of a lack of self confidence/doubt.. dont worry about it.
if fish are nibbling and biting and youre not catching them then there is every good chance that they have a small mouth and that you are using too big-a-hook, or too big a bait for that fish. simple IMHO. they could be holding one end of the bait/hook without the point of the hook in it
fish should take a bait and give a good yank to ensure that they hook themselves. no need to strike, just pull into it
persist :wink:

hope this helps

some fish also become wary of baits/lures that they miss or dont trust after the first go. they might just toy with it thereafter or they might give up on it, depending on species, competition, hunger!..
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby yngkmd » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm

i like striking, i wont pretend it stops fish from swallowing the bait but one of my favourite summer tactics is float fishing of the rocks, and stirking into a plump wrasse or decent pollock on light gear, having the rod buckle over in your hand and then feeling the full force of their first run as they tear off is a feeling that cant be beat.
2012 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock, Whiting, Colefish (New PB), Shore Rockling, Flounder (New PB), 5 Bearded Rockling (New Species), Dogfish, Pouting, Plaice, Dab, Lesser Sandeel (New Species), Cod (New PB), Long Spine Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Goldsinney Wrasse, Butterfish (New Species), Ling (PB), Halibut (New Species), Haddock (New Species), Red Fish (New Species), Wolffish (New Species), Rockcook Wrasse, Shanny, Poorcod, Conger

2011 species list (In order of appearance), Pollock(PB), Lumpfish (New Species), Whiting, Colefish, Codling(PB), Dab, Pouting, Shore Rockling, Conger (PB), Blenny, Corkwing Wrasse, Three Bearded Rockling (new Species), Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Ballan Wrasse, Plaice, LSSS, Poor Cod (new Species that i know of), Sand Smelt (new Species), Herring (new Species)

For this message the author yngkmd has received thanks:
tex (Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:44 pm)
yngkmd
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby Tommy B » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 pm

rocketman wrote:.

id imagine rampent wreckfish didnt strike too many bites when he won gold at the world championships in south africa. i know whos advice id be taking.

I wouldn't ignore rockhunters advice either have a look at his reports:) I think it's a bit of a can't answer question, up to the individual
and the fish.

Tommy

For this message the author Tommy B has received thanks:
razor2 (Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 am)
Tommy B
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby saving private brian » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:46 pm

we never strike for flounders but when u leave them nibbling away and you reel in,the hooks half way down his belly and hard to unhook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
saving private brian
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby Rampent Wreckfish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Tommy B wrote:
rocketman wrote:.

I think it's a bit of a can't answer question, up to the individual
and the fish.

Tommy

I dont agree with you at all on this, How is it a "cant answer question"?

You either catch more fish striking or you dont.
From my experience you will catch alot more fish leaving them to hook themselves.

If you are missing fish it is down to your hook choice and bait presentation and not how quickly you can "strike"(pull the bait away from the fish).

I know it can be very exciting watching the rod buckle over or see the line go slack but leaving a fish out there on a slack line does not reduce your chances of catching said fish infact it may give you more time to get a second one from the shoal or if the fish drops the bait it gives him a chance to pick it up again.

You will catch both large and small fish on small hooks but you will only catch large fish with large hooks(in general, there is always that eager fish that will get himself onto a hook.)
Match your bait to your hooksize.
For example there is not much point in putting a whole large razor and blacklug cocktail on a size 4 the same as there is not much point in putting a small blow lug and maddies on a 4/0 pennel because the chances are you will miss more fish than you catch.

Good bait presentation is the key and just leave them at it for a few minutes.

The chances are that most large mouthed fish are actually hooked the first time they take a bait anyway but why not give them a chance to make sure.
UP THE DEISE!!!!!!!

For this message the author Rampent Wreckfish has received thanks: 4
Davy Murdoch (Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:28 pm), davybrown99 (Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:35 pm), kopidol (Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:40 pm), seaotter (Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 pm)
Rampent Wreckfish
First Time Angler

Postby Donagh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:06 pm

I wouldn't strike a bite ever. The question is more what time you lift into a fish. Leaving baits out longer ups the number of fish but also increases the depth the hook can be swallowed so a gemini disgourger should be on hand.

Where I would recommend lifting into fish sooner rather than later is rough ground fish for conger and huss close in with a ledger. Huss especially spit baits and both will go for a bolt hole.Wrasse close in would have similar issues.

For this message the author Donagh has received thanks:
Seaniebo (Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 pm)
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Strike, don't strike, delay strike? I can't wait to see this topic when someone mentions circle hooks! :mrgreen:
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby eddie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 pm

circle hooks :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry lads couldnt help it
eddie
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby fearghal fishing » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm

In my opinion,I would use different methods of setting the hook for different fish/methods,for example if float fishing for pollack I would wait for the float to dive under before striking,winding in the float might just pull the bait from its mouth.if I was spinning a sand eel or a spoon for pollack i would just wind into it,if using a pulley rig the chances are the fish will set the hook its self.
2011 species:pollack,rockling,wrass,dogfish,mackrel,sea trout,flounder,turbot,pouting,coalfish,codling,whitting. 2012 wishlist:bass,plaice,ray,mullet,conger,?????
fearghal fishing
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 pm

eddie wrote:circle hooks :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry lads couldnt help it

whats a circle hook :|
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby Tommy B » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Rampant [/quote]

I dont agree with you at all on this, How is it a "cant answer question"?

.[/quote]

Rampant you have the medals for not striking the fish straight away and rockhopper has the results with striking straight away... so what is the answer?
Really depends on what you are fishing for and the way you are fishing. I would agree with you and rockhopper but I wouldnt pick one over the other.

Tommy
Tommy B
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Tommy B wrote:.

. I would agree with you and rockhopper but I wouldnt pick one over the other.

Tommy[/quote]
it's rockhunter,tommy :wink:

rockhopper stopped posting on here a long time back :?
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby Tommy B » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:26 pm

oops rockhoppers are good fishers too :)

Thanks John
Tommy B
SAI Hammerhead

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers