a SHARP filleting knife !!

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

a SHARP filleting knife !!

Postby blowin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:19 am

I've seen a good number of threads asking which is the best knife to buy and I have wasted money changing from one brand to another because all of them got blunt quite quickly and I could never get any of them really sharp again . Messing around with a blunt knife can be really frustrating at the end of a good day's fishing .
The technique shown in this link is amazingly effective . At first it looks like a lot of hassle but is no bother once you've set up the boards ( I use a slab of slate , anything firm and very flat ) . Get the wet-and-dry from an autofactor / body shop .
Scroll down past the first few posts then you'll see the good one , with pics .
http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/the-r ... ng-knives/
Good luck

For this message the author blowin has received thanks: 3
fearghal fishing (Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm), paul skelly (Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm), rocketman (Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm)
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Re: a SHARP filleting knife !!

Postby fearghal fishing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for posting,very interesting!
2011 species:pollack,rockling,wrass,dogfish,mackrel,sea trout,flounder,turbot,pouting,coalfish,codling,whitting. 2012 wishlist:bass,plaice,ray,mullet,conger,?????
fearghal fishing
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby rocketman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 pm

+1 good link

rocketman
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby davyp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 pm

got a knife sharpener similar to the one in this ebay link a few years ago - literally 3 or 4 swipes along the blade of a filleting knife and it is sharp as a razor - great job.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Smiths-Jiff-V-Sh ... 5ae5617f30
davyp
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby blowin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 am

davyp wrote:got a knife sharpener similar to the one in this ebay link a few years ago - literally 3 or 4 swipes along the blade of a filleting knife and it is sharp as a razor - great job.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Smiths-Jiff-V-Sh ... 5ae5617f30

I have two different ones which are similar to that ^ . Both worked really well when the various knives had not seen much use but once the cutting edges had been worn back a bit the thicker bit of the blade prevented the edge from getting right down into the "V" of the sharpeners so they weren't much use . I also found that those yokes made even very small nicks on the edge get bigger . You'd hardly see them but they were enough to make the filleting less smooth .
Mind you I am perfectly capable of messing up a fillet with even a perfect knife ! :wink: :lol:
Good luck
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby petekd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:47 pm

I am actually a butcher by trade, when it comes to knives, ignore the cheap shi te and go buy yourself a proper one, something from the Victorinox stable, buy a steel as well and learn how to use it. You will have a quality piece of kit that will last a lifetime if looked after. Not overly cheap but absolute quality. Expect to pay about 15 quid for the Knife and maybe 25-30 for a decent steel. Pop into your local butchers shop and ask if they can order one for you if you cant find a supplier. Key to keeping knives in good nick is entirely in how you treat them when you aren't filletting fish with them. Protect the blade however you can, metal on metal rattling round a tackle box blunts and chips the edge. Also, when at home, never start using them on those horribly popular glass chopping boards. The only time you want the metal of the blade hitting other metal is when you give it a light rub on the steel.

Oh, and forget about flexible blades and the traditional really narrow tapered blade of a traditional filleting knife. A standard 6-8 inch blade Victorinox Boning Knife is a beast that will do everything you want. Flexible blades and the likes are all well and good in the hands of a pro, a decent sturdy blade will suffice for the rest of us.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 pm

petekd wrote: ignore the cheap shi te and go buy yourself a proper one, something from the Victorinox stable, Pop into your local butchers shop and ask if they can order one for you if you cant find a supplier. A standard 6-8 inch blade Victorinox Boning Knife is a beast that will do everything you want. .

you can get all of the above from here :wink: http://www.broderickbros.ie/PDFs/knives_full.pdf

i wouldnt be without the few i have :mrgreen:
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby DGP123 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Some good info, I'm looking to buy a good Knife.
DGP123
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers