final coat for rod blank

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:06 pm

would like to know what would be the best thing to use for final coat on my rod before i put the eyes on. tried car lacquer last year on same rod but it started peeling and cracking.the rod has been sanded down to the carbon ,with a prime coat and a final coat of black paint applied. thanks

Re: final coat for rod blank

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 am

I've used spray on car lacquer without any problems. 2 or 3 very thin coats works best. Try get it on during the day when the temp is above 10c.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:24 am

Yacht varnish 8)

Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 pm

i`m sure i put the lacquer on in one coat during winter in the shed at night, every thing i probably shouldn`t of done.will give it another go and if i mess that up,i might give the yacht varnish a go. thanks

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:41 pm

I wouldn't use yacht varnish.... it won't flex enough and will crack and peel off. try the Lacquer again...... I used it recently on a 12-20 boat rod that has since had lats of abuse and I've had no problems. Getting slow drying in good temps is the key....

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:48 pm

MAC wrote:I wouldn't use yacht varnish.... it won't flex enough and will crack and peel off. try the Lacquer again...... I used it recently on a 12-20 boat rod that has since had lats of abuse and I've had no problems. Getting slow drying in good temps is the key....

Yacht varnish is extremely flexible....

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 pm

used the car lacquer,four light coats and done in a warm room,it looks very good,time will tell