painting lead weights . info needed please.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 pm

hi all i would like to try and paint my lead weights for boat and shore fishing . ive looked up other posts and got some info but still a bit lost. also im in galway is there any where around this area that would sell the correct paint or power. thanks for any help on this.

Re: painting lead weights . info needed please.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:27 pm

try this crowd dan.........http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/cat ... paints.htm

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

got some of the powder from uk hooks,reasonably priced too,eddie............

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:58 pm

I have painted tons of weights in the past, mostly for boat fishing and this is relatively quick, cheap and works well but not sure it would be durable enough from the shore. Weights on the boat obviously have a shorter life span! Get your weight and firstly paint with a white emulsion or similar as a base coat so the spray paint shows up properly. I used to use the little tester pots you can buy for a euro or 2 which include a little brush. I used 2 colours for my weights, a luminous yellow which is available in Woodies as fridge paint or radiator paint and a glow in the dark one which I found in Halfords although I believe woodies do stock it from time to time. Give em a couple of coats. Now, you can leave them like that but for durability, give them a coat or two of clear lacquer such as you would use on a car after a touch up job. I used to hang mine from a piece of wood with small hooks screwed in for handiness. You can have them painted and dried in an hour from start to finish. Its quick,its easy and it definitely works. I must do a feature on coloured v plain leads for IA in the future as it makes a phenomenal difference on occasion to catches.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm

rolandepearce on ebay does a kilo of powder coat for a little over €20 delivered if it's of any help to you 8)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:38 pm

hi pete,would like to hear what you think of coloured leads,do they help,and what do you think they help most with,i notice a lot of the english boat anglers are useing them,eddie...............

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 pm

doggie3131 wrote:try this crowd dan.........<A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/glow_inthedark_powder_paints.htm" rel=nofollow vglnk_1329428881500="3">http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/glow_inthedark_powder_paints.htm</A>
thanks noel thats a good one to have...
petekd wrote:I have painted tons of weights in the past, mostly for boat fishing and this is relatively quick, cheap and works well but not sure it would be durable enough from the shore. Weights on the boat obviously have a shorter life span! Get your weight and firstly paint with a white emulsion or similar as a base coat so the spray paint shows up properly. I used to use the little tester pots you can buy for a euro or 2 which include a little brush. I used 2 colours for my weights, a luminous yellow which is available in Woodies as fridge paint or radiator paint and a glow in the dark one which I found in Halfords although I believe woodies do stock it from time to time. Give em a couple of coats. Now, you can leave them like that but for durability, give them a coat or two of clear lacquer such as you would use on a car after a touch up job. I used to hang mine from a piece of wood with small hooks screwed in for handiness. You can have them painted and dried in an hour from start to finish. Its quick,its easy and it definitely works. I must do a feature on coloured v plain leads for IA in the future as it makes a phenomenal difference on occasion to catches.
thanks for all the help pete il be getting my paint and giing it a go. thanks again.
Shambo wrote:rolandepearce on <A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.ebay.com" rel=nofollow vglnk_1329428881500="2">ebay</A> does a kilo of powder coat for a little over €20 delivered if it's of any help to you 8)
cheers shambo ill look up that site great value. thanks.
dezzer wrote:hi pete,would like to hear what you think of coloured leads,do they help,and what do you think they help most with,i notice a lot of the english boat anglers are useing them,eddie...............
hi dezzer thanks for the replys as you said above i too would like to see what people are catching with both coloured and normal leads. would be good to see if they are catching more fish. :wink: .

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi Dezzer, yes they definitely work and for a range of species too. I actually had a decent ling on Sunday that took a fluorescent yellow weight and not the bait and impaled itself on the Gemini leadlink! Had great results in particular for Wrasse, Cod and Ling but I would be of the opinion they work very well across the board. I wouldnt use a coloured lead when Gilling Pollack mind but thats just personal preference. Get a hold of a few and run a test next time you are afloat with a mate using plain leads and see for yourself. I havent done much with them from the shore but I know a lot of the match lads swear by them.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 am

petekd wrote:Hi Dezzer, yes they definitely work and for a range of species too. I actually had a decent ling on Sunday that took a fluorescent yellow weight and not the bait and impaled itself on the Gemini leadlink! Had great results in particular for Wrasse, Cod and Ling but I would be of the opinion they work very well across the board. I wouldnt use a coloured lead when Gilling Pollack mind but thats just personal preference. Get a hold of a few and run a test next time you are afloat with a mate using plain leads and see for yourself. I havent done much with them from the shore but I know a lot of the match lads swear by them.

Really interested in hearing your thoughts about this.. and brightly coloured weights work better then camo colours?? (I mainly shore fish myself) You think a brightly coloured weight would s care the fish off :lol:

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks Pete,must give this a try,will try for particular fish first,then try some more,there must be something to it,eddie.....