Problems with rigs: due to knots?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:38 am

Hi all, pretty new to shore angling been a couple of times and had great craic.

I keep having an issue with knots coming undone on my leader (50lb Flourocarbon), leading to hooks coming off the trace, or in a couple of cases the entire rig being lost :evil:

I've been using the improved clinch to connect the trace to the swivel on the end of my mono line and also for connecting snoods onto my swivels along the length of the trace. As far as I can see, have been making the knot correctly, moistening it, all that malarkey.

Doing a bit of testing here at home, when I tie hook or swivel to the leader with the improved clinch I am able to undo the knot with brute force. However if I use the same knot to attach a hook or swivel to 25 lb mono I can't budge it for love nor money.

Have tried the palomar knot today with the leader and it seems like a good alternative.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tight lines!

Re: Problems with rigs: due to knots?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:49 pm

The problem might be the line you're using it might be a little wiry for the improved clinch knot. When the line is not not under tension it can work it's self loose and when the tension is put back on it just pulls out. My advice to you is to change your knot or change your line get a softer line that sits better. With the improved clinch knot if you tuck your tag end twice the knot will sit better and be much stronger. Here's a nice easy leader knot: http://www.planetseafishing.com/tutoria ... ader-knot/

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey Paul, thanks for the advice- I reckon that you're right and that the leader is too stiff to tighten the knot successfully. I used the palomar to join my leader to my end swivel and no problems today- all the gear was intact!

Cheers

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:55 pm

the palomar knot is one of the best, if you look up knot wars on youtube it shows the palomar knot to be no.1 for strenght its also very easy to tie especially on a dark night with freezing hands good quality line is also an advantage amnesia is great for snoods and greased weasel for rig body is very good

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 am

Mickm, yeah the palomar seems to be the beans alright, haven't lost a rig since I started using it. I've been using 25lb mono for my snoods and tying the improved clinch in that has been working fine, seems to pull up nicer on the lighter line.