Re: supermarket bait?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Al and Jordan wrote:
varadero wrote:
Al and Jordan wrote:we always have a look in tesco and asda chilled reduced counter before heading out on a trip :wink:
depending on what time of day you look, there is usually a few boxes of cooked peeled prawns reduced in there for around £2 a box. we have caught all sorts of species on them and had one very memorable day out on the boat when they outfished all the usual baits like rag and mackerel the other lads were using :P :P :P over the reefs the wrasse went mad for the prawn and then over the clean ground the flats did the same :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dont thay come off on casting i mean thay are soft

if you can get them the day before you plan heading out just open the packet and give them a good coating of table salt. after 24hours they harden up and become like rubber. but ALWAS use bait elastic when fishing with them to make sure they will survive a 100+ yard cast. that's just a fishing basic, the same with distance casting most baits. :D

i had a look at tesco most of the prawns are fresh water dose this matter

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 am

varadero wrote:.... i had a look at tesco most of the prawns are fresh water dose this matter

Are you sure you didn't misread the label ? I think you might find it said " Cold Water " ( usually "North Atlantic" ) , as distinct from King or Tiger prawns , both of which are also from the sea .
But it does raise the Q as to which are the best of those . IMHO the cheap " Value " types have a lot of ice in the packs and very little flavour in the fish so perhaps it is worth spending the extra couple of euro to get something worth using . You could also make a nice s/wich with any leftovers :wink:

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 pm

we just buy whatever has been reduced. tried tiger prawn, king prawn, fresh cooked peeled prawn (the small ones) and even raw shrimp. i have to say that we have caught all sorts of species on them all :P