jammed spigot joint on uptide rod

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:22 pm

hi lads any ideas on how to get a jammed spigot joint unjammed , the rod is a ziplex uptide rod, some one once told me the carbon can create a tight joint in different temp , cant break down the rod any help would be great thanks

Re: jammed spigot joint on uptide rod

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi get a few people on each end twist and pull like f**k
To stop this happening again use a felt pen on the spigot and it should come apart easy next time

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Did you try using a hairdryer and heat it up gently... worked for me in the past... Hope that helps

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Jemo,
If you cool the joint down, stick a bag of frozen peas on it or similar and it should shrink and loosen after a bit.
Also, if you get someone to help you and you both twist in different directions it should help.

Eric

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:35 pm

cheers lads will try that thanks for the help, already tried two people no joy, heard about the ice before so will try that too thanks lads

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:41 pm

EricH wrote:Jemo,
If you cool the joint down, stick a bag of frozen peas on it or similar and it should shrink and loosen after a bit.
Also, if you get someone to help you and you both twist in different directions it should help.

Eric

I would suggest the same as eric, worked for me before!
Bag of peas around the spigot, dry it off and twist the two pieces opposite ways!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Haksaw 8)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Pour boiling water over it repeat this for a minute or 2 then they will separate......then give the male end a rub with wd40 or similar and a cloth and it will clean off an excess carbon thats causing it to stick

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:14 pm

dont know if you are still in trouble
if so wrap a little bit of emery paper around both sides of the spigot
and twist in opposite directions. sand paper works as well
just for grip

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:49 am

Rubber gloves or a couple of bits of inner tube will help give you a grip, then twist and pull after using the frozen peas

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm

thanks lads sorted :D :D

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 am

Well don't keep us in suspense, what did you do that worked.