wood chips for smoker

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:04 pm

i recently acquired a stove top smoker. im just wondering if anyone knows where i can get the various wood chips for this in this country

thanks

tom

Re: wood chips for smoker

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

woodies and Atlantic homecare do them . There weber branded and about a fiver a bag. They had jack Daniels flavour too

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Once you have the chips it can be worth adding fresh herbs to the smoker to flavour your catch, thyme, sage, rosemary, corriander seeds, lemon peel, the list is endless 8)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 am

liamemac wrote:Once you have the chips it can be worth adding fresh herbs to the smoker to flavour your catch, thyme, sage, rosemary, corriander seeds, lemon peel, the list is endless 8)

thanks for replying. where do i add the fresh herbs ? do i put them on the fish ? i tried the oak chips and the fish was lovely but had a slight after taste of wood. what chips would you recommend and do you marinate the fish before hand ?

thanks

tom

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:29 pm

g agus t wrote:
liamemac wrote:Once you have the chips it can be worth adding fresh herbs to the smoker to flavour your catch, thyme, sage, rosemary, corriander seeds, lemon peel, the list is endless 8)

thanks for replying. where do i add the fresh herbs ? do i put them on the fish ? i tried the oak chips and the fish was lovely but had a slight after taste of wood. what chips would you recommend and do you marinate the fish before hand ?

thanks

tom

I would usually just add the herbs to the chips just before you add the fish, it will release the essential oils into the smoke and give a delicate flavour. Wouldnt really marinade the fish as it might confuse the favours having smoked and marinaded but having said that it could be worth a try 8) i try to think of two aromatics at a time for any given fish eg: mackerel, black peppercorns and orange rind or cod star anise and corriander seeds

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:53 pm

beechwood and apple are good - though i think oak is fine as well.

if you know anyone working in timber they can give you a mountain of shavings or sawdust - 2 minutes with an electric plane on a few oak or beech offcuts will give you a years supply

they also use turf/peat for some smoke salmon - a tiny bit of it in with the shavings might be interesting - but drove over my smoker with a landrover before getting to try it!!

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 am

Have you got a good-sized rosemary bush in the garden? I've been smoking lightly-salted mackeral over rosemary sprigs and the taste is amazing. Dont have an actual smoker but I use a big kettle barbecue, light a fire in it using twigs and branches from elder bushes, apple tree etc - no charcoal. Let it die down, chuck on the rosemary, put the fish in, and close over the lid for about two hours. What we dont eat over the next day or two, Herself makes into mackeral paté which freezes OK.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:51 am

Hickory is best

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

beech is best, anyone with a chainsaw can supply you.