How to straighten out heavy mono?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Bought a couple of conger traces at the weekend and when I went to use them I noticed that the 200lb mono would not straighten out. It was like coiled like a spring and im sure it was the same when dropped into the water. :evil:

Does anyone have any idea how to help avoid this happening in the future..?

Thanks

Re: How to straighten out heavy mono?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 pm

HAIR DRYER! or a 20 lb conger will do it too ,just straighten it out and warm it up for a few minutes it should loose its memory :wink: also works well for appying tip tape and stickers to rods and boxes :D

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Nice one Roger..! Hair drier it is.

You learn something new every day :D

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:48 pm

I hang my tope traces in the shed with heavy weights attached to the bottom to remove the memory.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm

I fell that the coil effect gives the bait a bit of action in the flow, probably dispersing sent also, just a theory.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Not to sure about that as I thought that it was too unnatural looking for any fish to come near. Maybe off shore with a good tide but off a harbor wall I dont think it would work.

Like the idea of hanging the trace up weighted..... :)

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 am

pulling it through some rubber also works but i'm not so sure heating line wont affect it so i hang mine like said above.
dave

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Weight Of the bait will do it

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Right so firstly I heat the trace with a hairdryer, give it a good pull through some rubber, then hang it with some weights and some bait and its good to go............ :lol:

Lads cheers for the top tips. Never again will I insult an eel with a dodgy trace....

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 am

joebhoy wrote:Right so firstly I heat the trace with a hairdryer, give it a good pull through some rubber, then hang it with some weights and some bait and its good to go............ :lol:

Lads cheers for the top tips. Never again will I insult an eel with a dodgy trace....

and after all that al you gotta do is catch the conger!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tight lines boss

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:32 pm

I hope the irony of Rogers excellent suggestion is not lost! :D :D

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:42 am

kstaff wrote:I hope the irony of Rogers excellent suggestion is not lost! :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello (just straighten it out and warm it up for a few minutes it should loose its memory) ,is this the conger we are talking about :) :) Fedstar..