Line lay problem (Fixed Spool)

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi Guys
I'm having a problem with the line lay on my Shimano Nexave 4000RB with a rear drag. Its laying
the line with a reverse cone to the front of the spool. I've changed the spool to the spare one and its doing the same thing. Now I've had this same problem with another reel I have with a front drag and I cured that by putting an extra fiber washer on the spindle behind the spool and that cured it.

The question is , how do I cure this problem on my rear drag reel ? I can't see how to move the spool forward a fraction by putting a washer on it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Fecky

Re: Line lay problem (Fixed Spool)

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 pm

It seems odd to have that happening on two different reels unless they are both defective .
Do you by any chance have a slightly prominent knot up near the front of the spools -- either where line is attached to spool or perhaps where main line is tied to backing ? Just a thought . Good luck .

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

This was posted before,might help http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/cont ... _0012.html

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/media/fishin ... 671243.pdf
schematics

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/cont ... index.html
website for more info

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replies

@ blowin, nah it's not knots. The knots are tiny from the backing to the spool and to the main line.
The reverse cone on the spool is about 3 or 4 mm difference from the front to the rear of the spool. The other reel I was on about was a second hand one I got a few years ago and I was able to sort it out by adding an extra washer. The Shimano reel is possibly faulty, but I can't bring it back as it was a gift about 18 months ago and has been siting in my wardrobe. Only got it out the other day
and put some line on it. Thanks again.

@macka1, in the first link you posted, the line looks like picture B. The problem is that the spool I have is it has a push button to remove the spool from the reel. When I remove the spool it has no washers only a small pin going through the spindle that engages the spool. I can't see any way of moving the spool forward a tad to even out the line lay. I'm going to have a good look at them schematics and see if I can figure something out. Thanks for posting them. If I can't sort it out I might bring it down to my local tackle shop and see if they can give me any info about the problem.
If anyone else has any more info I'd really appreciate it

Cheers
Fecky

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 pm

i think the axle in the reel is adjustable up or down but you have to open up the side to get at the screws that tighten it down ,i hate taking fixed spools apart you normally end up in a right mess my baitrunner started to do the same last week after years of no problems if i figure it out i,ll post up here, mine has the button release spool too :roll:

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply.
I still have not done anything about the reel yet. I put it back in the wardrobe :lol: it might be another 18 months before it sees the light of day again. :P . If you do get a chance to fix your reel , do please post up what you found. I would be confident enough to have a go myself, time to break out the hammer and chisel :D .
Cheers
Fecky