poolock rod advice

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi all,

i'm looking for a rod to fish for pollock from rocks which would be very sturdy / strong, capable of casting a 2-3 out lead with jellyworm and on occasion feathers, the rod should be capably of hauling a pollock up to 4lb and on occasion a six pack of mackeral, if i'm that lucky.
I was previously using a 11.4 foot beach caster for this kind of fishing which was fine until the tip of it snapped while hauling a nice sized pollock onto the rocks.
I'm wondering if the 11 foot is too long for this kind of fishing, maybe a 10 foot rod would do a better job as on occasion it was difficult enough to cast out properly due to the location on the rocks i fish, any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
My Budget would be between 50-100 euro,

Many Thanks
Beechtrawler.

Re: poolock rod advice

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Have a look at the Shakespeare Alpha X Mackerel. 10ft cast 4-8oz you should get one for around € 20. so no sweat if you damage it. We have sold a lot of them and never had one come back. I know that if something sound too good to be true it probably is, but check it out.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:37 am

im fairly new to fishing and have the shakespeare alpha mackerel 10ft rod mentioned above and can tell you it is sturdy. i dont catch much but i have lifted out 3/4 pound pollock very easily with this rod and im sure it would lift out much heavier fish.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:44 am

I do a lot of this style of fishing and would definitely stick with 11ft rods but I don't tend to lift to many fish as always try and get low enough marks to use a net, I use carp rods and you can get a 3lb test century carp rod on ebay within your price bracket and cracking rods, or if you want something with a bit more power and suitable to lift fish check out penn bass rods in 11ft again still falls within you price guide failing that if you can push your price bracket then get the 11ft Conoflex flattie fanatic great rod that will do all you ask of it.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:16 am

I using 3lb test carp rod