Braid straight to the lure or not

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Picked up some braid today and i never use braid .i have heard that some people use a few feet of mono to tie to the lure any info would be great.

Re: Braid straight to the lure or not

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 pm

i would use a mono leader as its less visible and generally stands up to rubbing on rocks better than braid does

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:01 pm

yes, I use a fluorocarbon leader when lure fishing, about preferred length, best knots to use etc. look at the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34050&hilit=braid+leader

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 pm

depends mate, if your fishin ground that isnt that rough braid straight through is fine,if it is rough a leader does help ive tried all kinds of lenghts mate and have setteled on a 2ft leader;-)

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:22 pm

thanks lads

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:00 am

I think its all a matter of confidence Ray. I'll use flurocarbon leader of 2ft on the belief that the bass can see any line of any diameter - I'm giving myself the best chance. Having said that I've fished with UK bass lads who use braid straight through and they outfish me :? .

The best argument for mono or fluro leader is that its a protection for when the lure backs up the line on a cast. If using braid straight thru then hooks may do damage.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 am

I used to always use a bit of 10-15lb nylon near the lure worrying about the visibility issue til one evening I watched my cousin catch 2 nice sea trout on spinner tied straight to the braid. Since that Ive always just put the lure straight onto the braid using a figure of 8 knot loop, its very handy, its incredibly strong, you can bully the lure out of almost anything, the hooks bend before the braid gives BUT I always wonder about the visibility thing even now.

You will lose more lures when you snag with a leader but you might possibly get takes you wouldnt otherwise have got if you didnt have the leader on at all???

Had a few sea trout with the braid straight to the lure, my catches havent changed since I did away with the leader, I hope!! Sea trout were infrequently caught beforehand and still are, less than 10 a year is saltwater.

I dont think the pollack, coley or mackerel give a toss, but the bass could be a different proposition,I wouldnt know about them, mores the pity. I'd suggest you try no leader a while?? See what you think, as Pat says, when the spinner catches the braid on the throw the braid can be tricky to get off the treble (v tight, bit of a nuiscance) but the strength of the set up is a real plus for me.

Good luck.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 pm

razor2 wrote:Picked up some braid today and i never use braid .i have heard that some people use a few feet of mono to tie to the lure any info would be great.
i dont think fish will see or bother with whether the braid is joined directly to the spinner or not, but the shock leader will defo help with wear and tear of the braid.
i have used braid in the past but mainly on a deep sea rod, i dont always use it, but i am also interested in putting it on the spinning rod too. recently i put some new line onto my spinning reel and i keep getting birds nests on casts!!! its driving me crazy. :evil:
does braid stop this? whats the big advantages and disadvantages of braid over other lines anyways..?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:53 pm

I use braid straight to lure also when fishing plugs over the weed for pollock and I do well with fish but I always have it in the back of mind, should I be using a leader

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:46 pm

its a bit mixed but thanks for all your comments maybe over rough ground i will use leader.As for visibility of the fish seeing the braid the jury is still out on that one...But everything helps so i might use a clear leader i will see how it goes with the two methods

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 pm

http://www.gerrysfishing.com/braid/berk ... 3-1680.php

simple solution use clear braid.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 pm

MC wrote:http://www.gerrysfishing.com/braid/berkley-whiplash-crystal-super-braid-300yds-595-343-1680.php

simple solution use clear braid.

thats it no more problems didnt even know you could get it :lol:
cheers

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Some people prefer to use leader, others braid straight through - but worth noting that using a leader is not just to stop a fish from seeing the line - it also offers more protection from a number of things, like what was mentioned above, eg:
* lure coming back on line during cast - trebles can cause braid to get damaged
* when fishing shallow rocky barnacle coated reefs, braid may be more likely to get abrasion and weaken during a session
* lure crack-offs - if using braid straight through I've found crack-offs during casting more likely due to braid getting wrapped around rod tip ring

I just started using leader recently and think I'll stick with it after losing a good few lures on crack-offs earlier this year. One other thing if you use eg. 2 foot of leader they say it can be good to keep the knot where leader is tied to braid below the tip ring, so that during casting it does not go through all the rod rings, which could weaken it over many casts.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 am

Great question with many different views but if you want the best answer to your question regarding this then go on the following site http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bassfish/blog1.php these brothers have pioneered fishing with braid and have produced 3 or 4 magazines all viewable on line and loaded with so much information you will find the answer to your question their as well as some great reads and plenty of tips and advise.
I would personally use a mono leader and secure the braid to mono using a Albright knot you can see good examples of how to tie this on Youtube.