Reel repair???

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Just got a penn roddy 395 fs reel and the reel foot is broken on it, the bottom half of it has broken off. Does anyone know if this can be fixed as im not really all that up on fs reels?

Thanks!

Re: Reel repair???

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 am

The part that sits into the reel seet is broken...? If its only partially broken it might still work. If all of it has broken off then there isnt much chance of a fix and reel is for the bin I guess.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:09 am

Its just the bottom part of the foot. The bit that sits into the bottom coaster on the rod.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 pm

if you only just got it bring it back.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 pm

thats awful...im not too sure if you can send that to be fixed unless it was to the brand manufacturers and you probably would be cheaper gettin a new one...never hear of the feet breaking much but obviously it does happen,,,,as i was reading this question i was having a look at my f/s on my kitchen table....my first thoughts would be to do a maguyver job on it.id try and think of getting a piece of metal or steel in the same shape as the foot and cut it to the lenght the foot originally was and glue it on and maybe even whip the top bit together with strong light diametre twine...im sure if the reel is workin fine and you have a likeing for it ,,maybe you should sit down with for half an hour and have a good think on how and what materials could make this work again....the reels life expectancy is certainly not over,,,,,go for it and tell us how you done it

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:03 pm

saving private brian wrote:thats awful...im not too sure if you can send that to be fixed unless it was to the brand manufacturers and you probably would be cheaper gettin a new one...never hear of the feet breaking much but obviously it does happen,,,,as i was reading this question i was having a look at my f/s on my kitchen table....my first thoughts would be to do a maguyver job on it.id try and think of getting a piece of metal or steel in the same shape as the foot and cut it to the lenght the foot originally was and glue it on and maybe even whip the top bit together with strong light diametre twine...im sure if the reel is workin fine and you have a likeing for it ,,maybe you should sit down with for half an hour and have a good think on how and what materials could make this work again....the reels life expectancy is certainly not over,,,,,go for it and tell us how you done it

Is there no beginning to your talents :roll:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 pm

There is a guy in County Limerick, he does repair work for penn reels if that is of use to you. If you want i can pm on his number to you

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Conger wrote:There is a guy in County Limerick, he does repair work for penn reels if that is of use to you. If you want i can pm on his number to you

Is that the Dutch guy? I've heard that he's good.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Conger wrote:There is a guy in County Limerick, he does repair work for penn reels if that is of use to you. If you want i can pm on his number to you
he must be good because penn surfmaster reels are the worst reels i have seen

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 am

hi man i had the same problem with a penn capativia a few years back. i took it back to the shop and they ordered me a replacement outer casing for that half of the reel where it attaches to the coaster on the rod. i carefully stripped it dow and replaced it and the reel is still going to this day :P . added to that, there was no charge for ordering and posting the part over :P . but as far as i know since then, penn, shakespeare and abu have all been bought over by pure fishing. i have heard a few complaints about their customer service record since being brought under the pure fishing umberella. but i recently got in contact with them (pure fishing) about a flaw in a shakespeare rod that caused a break. a guy called robert jones dealt with my query and this was the response,

Hello Alastair,

You need to take the rod back to your place of purchase. All Pure Fishing products are covered by a 12 month warranty against any manufacturing defect or a fault occurring through fair wear and tear from the date of purchase.

Best Regards, Robert.

just took it back to the shop and within 14 day i was out back fishing with my new salt rod 8) 8) 8)

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:44 am

HI guys. Thanks for all the replies! Got the reel sorted, just jot a bit of metal and attacherd it to the foot. Workin sound now. Ill put up a pic when i get camera sorted.

Mods lock pls.