how to get sand eels

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:06 pm

hi,i'd like to try and get my own sand eels.can anyone tell me the best way to catch them,thanks

Re: how to get sand eels

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:47 pm

use a sandeel net and go mear an estuary in a bay(beach),,oh wahtch for birds diving,,,you would want to see the monsters i got the other day,,,there humongous

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks any idea where I'd get a sand eel net

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:28 am

Get 30ft of 6-8 ft high builders windbreak netting (1-2mm#).... ( loads around these days !)
Use 2 x 50ft nylon ropes and secure the top and bottom of the netting with cable ties at intervals (Wrap for extra strength )
Add lead weights and some old chain at intervals to weigh down/ rattle
On the top use 1 liter plastic milk cartons for flotation ... weave rope through handles again use cable ties..or use pipe lagging insulation
Secure two 10ft top/bottom ends of rope on each side with strong brush handle.. comfort in the haul!

Now for conditions:
As Brian said ,a shallow harbor/backwater inlet with soft golden sand , esp where current has been shifting it.
2 people drop net at about 4ft water depth (I use a wetsuit ...) and spread out net.. pull parallel to shore. keep speed smooth and steady ... arc towards shore ... don't stop until net is completely on shore.
My first haul I had 300+ sand eels (July) pick out and place in bucket of sea water .. !!watch out for weavers!!

Storage:
Get small freezer bags. Separate eels into lots of 5/6 per bag and space out.I then use a large air pump (Got it in smyths toys) with pipes reversed to draw vacuum in bag , pinch and knot quickly.Place on pre-frozen metal sheet in freezer for optimum freezing.

Transport:
Place thermos flask in freezer for 30min , open sand eels and fill required amount for trip close up well , place in bag ..... bait stays fresh all day long.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

thanks for the info,it will be my next little project

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the advice was wondering how to catch those little suckers :D

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the advice have to get meself a net :D

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm

When I was in Brittany on holiday I saw guys catch sandeels to use as Bass baits.

They were using what appeared to be mini feathers but on inspection were actually a string of size 14/16 hooks with a small "hotspot" of flourescent paint on the bare shank.

They were fished like feathers with a sink & draw action. Deadly!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Nice one ,is it to late in the year to have a go at catching them?. Fedstar..

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Possibly if weather is settled down ,but given recent weather and the lightly-hood of more rough & colder weather the chances are getting slimmer , try a well protected sand beach/inlet ... best of luck!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 am

try a carp / pike landing net at low water you should get enough for a session and watch out for the weavers