Switch to full style
Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!
Post a reply

Re: smoothie tips

Thu May 07, 2015 10:28 am

Well done Roger

Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Great tips :)

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
roger de dodger wrote:
Derek M wrote:Had nearly 6 smoothies among other species on low tide,4 around 3 to 3 and a half foot mark ,1at 4 ft and one which broke off in the breakers :evil: had to be over 6ft easy(would have been my PB for hounds),i even got my waders full of water as i ran into the water to try grab it was well gutted :mrgreen: it took the lead along with the hook and after my soaking i even tied two grip leads together to make grappling hooks to see if i could snag the line and lead he had attached to thinking he might be a little tired after battle(in my dreams) and still near by mad i know but adrenaline was pumping on seeing such a big one and i wanted it big time.

if it was 6 foot long i,d guess it was a tope ,unlike hounds tope have razor sharp teeth so try not to go swimming with one again or you will be getting plenty of adrenaline off a doctor :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Sat May 28, 2016 12:38 pm

I'll put this back up as a sticky. some useful tips here for the new posters.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:10 am

Anyone fancy pm'in me a decent east or south coast mark for the hounds? Gonna try my hand at it Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:48 am

delmonte wrote:Anyone fancy pm'in me a decent east or south coast mark for the hounds? Gonna try my hand at it Thursday

I wish..... [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:22 am

jaywalshe wrote:
delmonte wrote:Anyone fancy pm'in me a decent east or south coast mark for the hounds? Gonna try my hand at it Thursday

I wish..... [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk
What does that mean?

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:40 pm

One well known spot you can try is Dodds rocks near Courtown.
There are plenty about.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Some great advice on how shorelines can be used to an anglers advantage =
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SlYN_cfpVtE

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Good tips there

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Wow great info, all so simple if you think about it.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Cheers for the tips here! Lot of info!! What months do they arrive and depart roughly?! Sounds like a serious fish to land!! Is it just the east and south east coasts they are found?

Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Great information on this thread!
On most of the venues I fish, rag, squid and live hardbacks, I usually drop a net or homemade trap over pier with a whole fresh whiting, with its belly open. If you can't get one where you fish, you can pick one up ftom a mongers for about a euro whole. All it takes is an hour, and because the crabs are feeding they are very animated. No matter what baits I have with me, I always get some live ones where I'm at. Live hardback always fish well as do good quality fresh ragworm, I think it's the movement of those livebaits that makes them fish well. And when using live hardbacks I find the hounds will hit the bait once or twice before hooking.

Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 am

Paddyschoice wrote:Cheers for the tips here! Lot of info!! What months do they arrive and depart roughly?! Sounds like a serious fish to land!! Is it just the east and south east coasts they are found?

they have started to show in the last few years in youghal area and cork harbour. me and my mate caught one each in tralee area last week roughly 7/8lb and 14/15lb they seem to be spreading nicely.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:36 am

This is an old thread but I still find the first post really helpful. I just hope that this forum is still active just like before.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am

Great tips, think I got told about the mark where I caught these last week!!

SH.jpeg
SH.jpeg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 19844 times
Post a reply