fishing off dun laoighaire west pier

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:59 pm

hi, just wunderin what i could catch off dun laoighaires west pier with a spinner during mid-june
anyone any idea ???? :)

Re: fishing off dun laoighaire west pier

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Pollack and mackeral would be around the pier although i dont think the mackeral are around in any decent no.s yet.
You could try some soft plastics along the pier wall for some wrasse too.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:42 pm

thanks very much mate appreciate it !!!! :) :)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

to early for the west pier at the moment. you might pick up the odd pollock but you would be better off spinning at the back of the east pier usually bigger pollock there.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 pm

From last week-end the pollock have definately moved in - they're just not that big yet. Feathers of various kinds and variously baited are popular down there. At the far end of the pier, spinning off the flat ledge which is exposed at low tide is good becuase the water is deep and not too snaggy if you cast towards Liverpool. With higher water, anywhere off the wall or round right as far as the bollard is generally the best. I've caught big mackerel in both these places (not this year) using a German spratt.

The best place for pollack is in the kelp at the left half of the wall. If you're there, don't go further left of the lighthouse because the rocks get shallow and also there's a metal rung in the wall at about water level which is covered in line and hooks.

I used a rubber 'fire-tail' down there last-weekend but only for about 20 mins - wasn't confident with the rig - thought I might have felt some bites on it but they could've been anything. Tempted to give it another shot today.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14 pm

...will try the back of the east pier as suggested, cheers.