freezing peeler

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:52 am

is it bad to freeze peeler if you have them left over?

Re: freezing peeler

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm

no you can freeze live peeler easily just shell them as if you were going to put them on the hook then wrap them in tin foil or cling film an throw them in the freezer but its not advised to re freeze peeler crab after they have defrosted as they are not effective...

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:12 pm

lugworm wrote:is it bad to freeze peeler if you have them left over?

yes, that's really a bad thing to do and Santa won't come this year :wink: :lol:
no, jokes aside, stick to the advice given above and you can't go wrong. The only point I want to add is you might remove the gills or dead mans fingers (if you go from the back legs to the bottom of the shell and lift it up you will see them) before you freeze them, some experts believe they catch better fish without them, has something to do with toxins building up due to the presence of anaerobic bacteria in the gills after the crab dies. But, as always, there are different opinions on that too.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm

thanks boys since the last post i froze the peeler but never peeled them and when thawed out for a session they wer gone bad, luckily i had some razor and sand eels (whoops) ha ha totaly novice mistake!!! anyway ill know for next time thanks again boys!

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 pm

I've frozen them in the shells with no problems at all, not sure what you have done wrong if they were too mushy.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:09 pm

shamoo0804 wrote:I've frozen them in the shells with no problems at all, not sure what you have done wrong if they were too mushy.

I agree and peelers are always mushy anyway :mrgreen:
I always freeze peeler if I have any left over, wrap them in cling film and throw them in, Some people do take the lungs out but I don't bother and it hasn't affected my catch rates. The only peelers that I do not freeze are ones that have died, I find that these go bad pretty quickly.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm

I caught a 2lb ballan wrasse in Kerry at the weekend on some dodgy peeler crab that was refrozen and left in the "backup box". So I wouldn't rule it out all together.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:00 pm

The important part of of freezing crab!! be it in their shell or shelled is, it must be in perfect condition before freezing, with just the shell lifting. You get back out of the freezer what you put in!!!!..... no dead crabs or bullets must be frozen. :shock:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 pm

kool boys nice1 for the advice!!!!!!