Fishing on the Quay for Bass in Waterford

Fri May 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi All
Has anyone Fished on the Quay's for Bass in Waterford in the winter the quay used too be full with angler's but now the waterford council have taking down the old railing's and replace them with a new one that's higher than then the last one have anyone find it hard latey to fish the quay's of waterford city now with these new railing's will the angler's from all over Ireland and afar come back to fish one of the best spots for Bass in waterford :( :( :( :(

Re: Fishing on the Quay for Bass in Waterford

Sat May 28, 2011 5:01 pm

I have fished the Quay since I was a child with my Dad weve had Cod~Eel~Trout~Mullet and flounder but I'v never had a Bass from there.I have fished it on all stages of the tide and neap and spring tides. It was producing codling up until April and probably still is the last time there I fished behind the Bus station 2weeks ago at 3am ( couldn't sleep ) 2 casts produced 2 eel so I packed up and went home I had no problem with the flood barrier. I have heard from older anglers that it used to fish for Bass but that was back in the 60's and 70's I'v even heard of double figure Bass being taken but again that was decades ago. If you are catching Bass there in the winter we have got to meet up for a session so you can show me the spot.

Sun May 29, 2011 12:00 pm

i never fished behind the bus station what bait do you use mo chara ive seen people take bass from the quay a few years back but tried myself for them nothing i even asked the anglers what they got and they said bass i hope they still come up the suir is the other side of the quay still blocked off

jay

Sun May 29, 2011 2:08 pm

The only reason I fish behind the bus station is because it is the closest place to fish from my apartment I literally walk for 1 min and I'm there. I reckon it was Codling that the Anglers were catching because the Quay's are known for it's Codling catches in the Winter! The railings were replaced by the new flood barrier and since it was completed I don't think it has had any effect on the fishing, I'd mostly use crab or lug but rag works for the codling also , bread fr the mullet and garden worm and mackeral for the trout. The Tall ships race 2011 is starting on june 30th so there is more traffic than usual on the river the Ferrybank side of the river is alot busyer so I'd say it is a no go for fishing until after the ships have left.

Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Lads
I remember catching Bass in the quay on the Waterford side of Rice bridge 30 years ago! The river Suir was, and thankfully still to this day is very much so a residential area/nursery for bass. Bass (in my opinion) spend a lot more time in our estuaries then most people think. I witnessed and aided in the retrieve of a bait caught bass of 16.5lbs about 10 years ago from the river Suir and I believe there is bigger and better in the 15 mile stretch of the Waterford Estuary. The river Suir being a nursery to an amplitude of marine species explains occasional record catches of omnivorous fish species such as cod and bass.

As children mullet and sea trout were our main target and today, thankfully the sea trout are more abundant along the estuary. Regarding the river Suir now a days I suppose The Suir turns up it's fair share of sea trout but is definitely better known for it's cod catches. Like I said the River Suir is in my opinion a nursery and anglers are dependent on the customary autumn/winter cod runs. Due to water clarity in the estuary it is the bait angler that has the upper hand while fishing the Waterford Estuary.
Tight Lines Alan O Neill

Sun May 29, 2011 10:33 pm

thanks for all the info im planing to fish there tommrrow hope to catch a few lol

Sun May 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes i'm going to be first in something for a change :D .What are you going to be fishing for :?: ,surely not a bass in the close season.

Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 am

im goin to try my hand at codlin if there still around but just be happy with catching anything just to be fishing :D no im not goin targeting bass as it is a closed season :D

Mon May 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Good luck with the codling :)

Tue May 31, 2011 10:59 am

nice avitar ? :lol: :lol: its ok i,ll change mine i,ve loads of pics of bass :mrgreen:

Tue May 31, 2011 3:13 pm

Well Jay did you manage any fish ? Nice to meet you btw , some coincidence I saw you pass my window on your way down

Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

well craig hows things yeah it was good meeting into u too i had no luck had a good few bites doh :D
jay

Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 pm

roger de dodger wrote:nice avitar ? :lol: :lol: its ok i,ll change mine i,ve loads of pics of Bass :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:09 pm

red wrote:
roger de dodger wrote:nice avitar ? :lol: :lol: its ok i,ll change mine i,ve loads of pics of Bass :mrgreen:

red what are you l :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: about your avitar isnt exactly one i,d be proud of :lol:

changed me mind lets get smooth instead :lol:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 pm

roger de dodger wrote:
red wrote:

red what are you l :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: about your avitar isnt exactly one i,d be proud of :lol:

I thought it was cute

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 am

red wrote:
roger de dodger wrote:
red wrote:

I thought it was cute

we can have a comp on who has the smallest fish in his avitar :mrgreen: (your ahead so far) :lol:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:03 am

roger de dodger wrote:we can have a comp on who has the smallest fish in his avitar :mrgreen: (your ahead so far) :lol:

na, he was actually 22cms, ive got huge hands :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:09 pm

red wrote:
roger de dodger wrote:we can have a comp on who has the smallest fish in his avitar :mrgreen: (your ahead so far) :lol:

na, he was actually 22cms, ive got huge hands :lol: :lol:

even bigsods hands arnt that big and they call him the human jcb :lol: