Rod joint loose

Sat May 07, 2011 9:27 pm

the joint on a penn venom i have is very loose and has flew off a few time when casting.i put tape on it now and it dose do the job but is there anything for a better fix .

Re: Rod joint loose

Sat May 07, 2011 10:04 pm

two things you can try mate rub candle wax on it to build it up or look for some graphite spray and build it up with that hope this helps 8)

Sat May 07, 2011 10:52 pm

built mine up with thin layers of superglue bout 3 layer over a week...rubbed down each time to avoid uneven surface...seems to be doing the job...best luck

Sun May 08, 2011 12:22 am

Candlewax worked for me before Ray, as did superglue , build up the layers, and then sand down with very fine paper before trying for a good fit.

Sun May 08, 2011 7:13 am

apply a really fine coat of araldite on the inside female joint, make sure theres no setting runs , lightly sand till snug fit 8) , by the way how much do ya think a fully rebuilt venom would be worth 8)

Sun May 08, 2011 10:46 am

seanie im not sure how much one fully rebuilt would be .but if i was buying one after having one before i would pay 150 to 180 no problem :wink:

Mon May 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Ive had the same problem with a tt and built it up with some black car primer. Clean off the spigot with some white spirts and spray a few layers of primer on allowing the previous coat to dry! Works a treat. :D

Thu May 12, 2011 12:18 pm

I would have thought that paint primer would be way to soft to provide any sort of long term solution. Def super glue is the way forward

Thu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm

if its really loose , mix up some araldite 2 part resin , heat it up so that its like water , apply to a cleaned rod surface , use lighter fluid , the thin hot araldite will seep into the rod , then allow to dry and sand to fit ,

Fri May 13, 2011 10:54 am

just fixed a spigot on a rod of mine using the spray carbon you get for carbon poles - the best fix i've seen to date! a simple application of thin layers and its good to go - dont over spray it though.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:24 pm

thanks lads 8)