squid

Sun May 01, 2011 10:17 am

is whole squid any good for bass around tramore

Re: squid

Sat May 07, 2011 2:12 pm

why not fish two rods and use a whole squid on one for the whole session and find out yourself ,dogfish will love it even if the bass might not ,squid is a very underated bait my best bass on squid was 8lb not a whole one though a thin strip about the length of a sandeel on a size 2 hook produced the goods on a 3 hook flapper while targeting flounder in 18 inches of water jammie or what :?

Tue May 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Squid is a great bait and can be frozen and used again and again, good tipping bait, ive not used it whole, but guys out there have been known to to stuff them with mussels or other fishy treats.

Sun May 15, 2011 11:07 pm

what will take squid?

Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 am

Nearly everything, just depends on how you fish it.

Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 am

inkey wrote:what will take squid?

There are alot of double figure cod caught off the shore in england each winter on whole squid and nearly any fish off a boat will take it. Off the boat i've had, wrasse, conger, pollack, whiting, doggies, ling, gurnard and a few more, off the shore i've had codling, whiting, conger and dogs on it.

Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 am

Squid is a great bait I always bring some with me ideal for tipping off or bulking up your baits plus its handy to bait up with and there are so many ways to use it! I had my first fish on squid which was a Doggie they seem to love it! Making Wraps using squid and frozen black lug is great in the winter for many species!

Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm

huss can be taken on whole squid when they arent attacking the mac

Fri May 27, 2011 10:46 am

corbyeire wrote:huss can be taken on whole squid when they arent attacking the mac

If the OP is talking about 'Calamari' squid which is between 4-8 inches long and available in half-kilo frozen boxes they are an excellent bait fished whole for bass and ray.
Huss and conger will take three of these squid lashed together with elastic :D