best baits for rays

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 pm

new to the site and just getting serious adout fishing would like to target some rays this summer in east cork, espically garryvoe, was wandering what would be the best rig and are they attracted to beeds and spoons like flatties and if its all about distance casting or what, i hear its a good beach for thorn backs and painted rays, any one catching yet?.... all hints and tips much appricated....cheers lads tight lines.

Re: best baits for rays

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 am

Sand eel and mac wont let you down

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 am

there have been a few rays taken in east cork already that i know of. i had most sucess last year down that way on sandeel, or sandeel with mack or squid in a cocktail.
best rigs are the ones you can cast the furthest, if your a big caster use a 3 hook clip down, not so good a caster use a long pulley or long and low rig.
smallish aberdeen hooks from 2 upto 1/0 will do fine

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Dogfish meat= :roll: .Listen to Red's advice its spot on 8) for down this way as would the other genuine post .

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Got a few yesterday all on sandeel had 2 rods out one with mackeral and sandeel on the other
Mack took a dog but the rays went for the eel

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 pm

sandeel with the ead cut off it leaves a nice scent trail

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:25 pm

cheers for the tips lads took yer advice and went out fri 8th to garryvoe, got there a about 7 and started on sand eels with mac there was three other lads there useing all combos including peeler, we got some codling dabs and some doggies, then at about 10pm an hour after high tide the rod took a big bend i lifted and all my dreams came through my first ray a painted about 5 pounds + over the moon cant wait for the summer to come, thanks for all yer help lads hope to get some pics up tommorow...... tight lines to all :D :D :D

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:37 am

sparky wrote: at about 10pm an hour after high tide the rod took a big bend i lifted and all my dreams came through my first ray a painted about 5 pounds + over the moon cant wait for the summer to come,

:lol: :lol: :lol: i love it when a plan comes together :lol: