Paper clip lead link with bait clip!

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Got bored in work so came up with this.... any takers? :P

I suppose it would work well for rough ground rigs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Paper clip lead link with bait clip!

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Simple but ingenious.... :D

I often use paperclips as rotten bottom links on the boat, never thought of it for shore, they're fairly soft metal. Have you tried it yourself? How will it survive casting a lead? I suppose it would be OK lobbing a small weight at a close-in rocky patch in pursuit of bass...

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Potentially Lethal :|

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

alby wrote:Potentially Lethal :|

Have to agree I wouldn't want to be any where near you if your launching a lead with that

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Haha very true!

cathald wrote:

Have to agree I wouldn't want to be any where near you if your launching a lead with that

Yeh never thought of the safety... As I said I was bored, made this and just wondered did anyone ever do this before. I wouldnt use this with people around. Unless the lads were out fishing me... :wink:

Hugo wrote:Simple but ingenious.... :D

I often use paperclips as rotten bottom links on the boat, never thought of it for shore, they're fairly soft metal. Have you tried it yourself? How will it survive casting a lead? I suppose it would be OK lobbing a small weight at a close-in rocky patch in pursuit of Bass...

Thanks but I agree with the lads. Its pretty dangerous! Ill try it when Im out on my own again see what happens. Stick to 2oz or 3oz leads.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 pm

This method can be used when a gentle under hand lob is all that is required, like fishing for wrasse off a harbour wall or rocks works a treat on very snaggy ground use old leads, spark plugs or concrete sinkers made in egg cartons.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:49 pm

paul mason wrote:This method can be used when a gentle under hand lob is all that is required, like fishing for wrasse off a harbour wall or rocks works a treat on very snaggy ground use old leads, spark plugs or concrete sinkers made in egg cartons.

Good stuff Paul. So theyre not a complete waste of company stationary. Ill be ordering boxes of them for fishing Howth and Sutton in the new year when the weather gets better. Im currently working on making my own rod out of empty tin foil tubes and pipe cleaners! Tell Ian Gold to watch out :lol:

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 am

nice idea for fishing where a short cast will do,ideal for one of my conger marks :D

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:25 pm

its a good idea i used the paper clip as a weak line when boat fishing a great job for off the side of the boat but i would not cast with it { just incase}. :D

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Jayball10 wrote:[ Im currently working on making my own rod out of empty tin foil tubes and pipe cleaners! Tell Ian Gold to watch out :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:09 pm

hi i have being using them on the boat for a while works a treat

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:14 am

use rubber bands on the boat if is snaggy,off the shore 30 lb main line will bend or snap most hooks if required i find its not usually the lead but a hook that snags up :?:

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:40 am

if u want to far cast a rotten bottom why dont u get a normal lead weight and cut 1 side of the u wire on the top that u use to clip it.wen its cut just straighten it a small biting but still leaven a small arc or u in the wire.get ur trace and make sure u have a oval split ring on the base.between the split ring and the lead clip tie 6-10" of weaker mono.then before cast put ur wire clip into the ring.now this lets u preform a powerful rotten bottom cast.so wen ur weight hits the bottom it falls out of the oval ring.and if snagged wen reeling in its ur weaker mono that gives away

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 pm

saving private brian wrote:if u want to far cast a rotten bottom why dont u get a normal lead weight and cut 1 side of the u wire on the top that u use to clip it.wen its cut just straighten it a small biting but still leaven a small arc or u in the wire.get ur trace and make sure u have a oval split ring on the base.between the split ring and the lead clip tie 6-10" of weaker mono.then before cast put ur wire clip into the ring.now this lets u preform a powerful rotten bottom cast.so wen ur weight hits the bottom it falls out of the oval ring.and if snagged wen reeling in its ur weaker mono that gives away

I use this method with an upside down bait clip type genie link on the bottom on my main rig. Weak link to clip swivel below and just hook the eye of your wight over the genie link so the weight is supported by the main rig rather than weak link and unhooks when it hits the water. As for the paper clip above, i wouldn't see the need for bait clips if you were fishing in close. If the rig tangles on the cast then surely it will tangle if caught in a swell. And no need for a streamlined bait if your not looking for distance. Good idea but maybe something like 2.4mm stainless steel tig welding wire might be safer if you did want to make your own clips for casting.