weight wire needed?.what do you use?.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 pm

hi lads. ive bought a mould for making 5oz grip weights. and im needing the wire for the grips.?.just wondering what you use?. and where do you get the wire.?. is it only available on the net?.any replys much appreciated.cheers.

Re: weight wire needed?.what do you use?.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 pm

there cheaper online dan as far as i know.i know a lad that got 100 for 8 euro.but theres a place in dublin on the long mile road that does them .hopefully some of the dublin lads will help u

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm

I bought 100 wires off eBay for a little over 8 euro delivered. I'm sure there's bound to be wire available in hardware stores that could be used but I just haven't gone to the bother of looking as yet. I have tried some wire I found at work but it just wasn't stiff enough. I take it wherever you purchased your mould from doesn't supply the wires? Similar to my local tackle dealer, doesn't really make sense to me :roll:

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 pm

hi saving private brain thanks for the info im planning on making a load of weights over the xmass. so ive a bit of time to keep looking. but the net might be the best value...Well sambo hows things. any fishing these days?..i was going to try the normal wire but i didnt think it would work. and the place i got the mould dosent have the wire {yet} it might be on order{ya right}. :roll: . i wont be holding my breath. are ya tackleing any codling yet?.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi Dan

You can get them on Ebay see below Link

http://cgi.ebay.ie/GRIP-WIRES-LEAD-MOUL ... 5ad4cc0b03

Veals also do them:
6" Wires x 40 = £1.25
7" Wires x 40 = £1.40
Loops 1-6Oz = £1.50 x 50
Rollers x 80 = £1.95

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Determined Dan wrote:Well sambo hows things. any fishing these days?..i was going to try the normal wire but i didnt think it would work. and the place i got the mould dosent have the wire {yet} it might be on order{ya right}. :roll: . i wont be holding my breath. are ya tackleing any codling yet?.

To be honest I haven't been out in about 3 weeks! Had a few real sickeners and lost heart. Last time I was out I was tortured with weed, line snapped so changed reels, line snapped again so I packed up, still haven't put new shockleader on the reels :shock: Tried a mark that threw up a few codling last year but had nothing but doggies :| I'll get cracking at them next week again hopefully! Although I think I'll be lucky to get any cause I was watching two trawlers going up and down past there this morning :evil: You getting out and about much yourself?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi there Bicycle spokes are great for this ive been using them for over 25 years now and have found nothing better can be shaped into any form quite easily and they dont rust at all ive even used them for grip leds with some succes.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 am

you can get a 1000 for £34 they deliver to ireland i've got stuff off them before but i don't know what the postage is.
if ya got a couple of lads to cheap in they would be great value or if you plan and losing loads of leads :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 am

bicycle spooks r great 4 baiting needles
mickser wrote:Hi there Bicycle spokes are great for this ive been using them for over 25 years now and have found nothing better can be shaped into any form quite easily and they dont rust at all ive even used them for grip leds with some succes.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:45 pm

mickser wrote:Hi there Bicycle spokes are great for this ive been using them for over 25 years now and have found nothing better can be shaped into any form quite easily and they dont rust at all ive even used them for grip leds with some succes.

That's a good one - thanks! :D Also yours about the bait needles Brian.

How many spokes can I remove from the young fellah's lightweight before he gets road rash....? 8)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 am

my mate is a car mechanic and he gave me a 1000m spool of mig welding wire. cracking stuff and does the buisness :wink: i think i'll still be using it for decades to come :lol:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 am

try a welding supplier, ask for tig weldin rods, there sold in tubes of 100 1 meter lengths. this wire is stainless so perfect for grip leads. also available in different diameeters

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am

And im sure the rods are much cheaper, as soon as the same wire is used for fishing the price increases 10 fold

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:56 pm

1.8mm gas welding rods, easily bent lasts fairly well and cheap,(i rob them from work so even cheaper for me :P ) comes in one meter lenghts a few hundred in a box so one box would last a lfetime,

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

ss welding rods