Getting snagged on rocks - danger to swimmers?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:34 pm

I did some float fishing and set the depth too deep. Either the weight, or hook got snagged in some rocks. I managed to free it up eventually and reel it all in. I'm wondering how do people deal with this? Is there a trick to retrieving most of your gear and do you just have to cut it? The reason I ask is because I had cast out about 10 metres and I know that whilst lots of people fish there during the winter, during the summer some people swim near these rocks (well, they enter the water a bit further up but on occasion one may swim down that far).

I'm conscious that there may be a risk to swimmers if someone is forced to leave that much line in the water....assuming it survives several months in the water. Or is this a non-issue? I had a search for this topic but couldn't find anything.

Re: Getting snagged on rocks - danger to swimmers?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 pm

I do alot of swimming in the sea, more long distance, but it is something I have though about on occasion as I do just hop in for a short dip from time to time but I've never heard of it being an issue for people swimming. I know one spot and during summer you have mack bashers all over the rocks and its also a popular swimming spot and again I never heard of problems regarding people getting hooks stuck in them. Its always grazes from rubbing off the rocks getting in and out.

Re: Getting snagged on rocks - danger to swimmers?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 pm

New hooks are designed to rust fairly quickly when immersed in salt water, it was designed llike that so that fish that managed to break a line didn't die of starvation due to having a hook in its mouth, eventually the hook rusts and falls out allowing the fish to live on. Same goes for snagged hooks, first part to rust away is the point so less likely to harm swimmers etc.