night fishing lights

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm

From reading the shore fishing reports, i see night fishing is best and im gonna try it this weekend. Whats the best light to use, let it be headlight, or lantern, or are any of those wind up lanterns any use ? Dont want to pay megabucks lads, but need to be good for a decent night session . :?

Re: night fishing lights

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Headlamp is best in my opinion, you can pick them up cheap in big hardware stores , but you definatly pay for bettter quality and petzel, spelo and silva all make very good headlamps but most arent that cheap.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Head lamp is the best . Energiser 12.50 euro in tesco . Nice little torches would Defo recommend

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

I've been using the energizer head lamp for a while now and find it great for less than a tenner
comes with a set of batteries also
I have a wee lantern that I hang in my shelter and that was only a tenner also

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:55 am

anthony if ur paying 12.50 for those energizer headlites ur being robbed.lol.i got mine down ere for 8 euro.and every where else i seen was 8 euro. :mrgreen: any way i wud also like anthony definitely recommend them
anthony byrne wrote:Head lamp is the best . Energiser 12.50 euro in tesco . Nice little torches would Defo recommend

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 pm

They must have seen me coming :lol: . They are 22.50 in millets . Absolute robbery

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 pm

I got my energiser head lamp from tesco in belfast for £4.99 a few months ago great for baiting up I also have the petzel ones they are good but a bit more expensive

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:00 pm

yeah tesco's were getting rid of a few there..

would definitely go with a headlamp.. I also use a lantern at base camp aswell

Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Argos do great deals on lights. Buy a backup too.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks lads for the tips. I got a cree headtorch on ebay. It has a zoom and a dim setting. With postage from hong kong its just over £6. I got a pm from a member on here who has used one for months and thinks they are great, but told me best to use rechargable batteries. I havnt had a chance to try it out on a fishing trip as its too bloody cold, but it works fine.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 am

a tiplight is very handy saves the batteries in a headlight andwon't scare fish away

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

wee set of 3 tip lights in belfast angling center for about 7 quid. . .but dont get the ones that need to be whipped onto the rod!!!

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 pm

taz wrote:a tiplight is very handy saves the batteries in a headlight andwon't scare fish away

I heard something counter to this recently,seemingly fish will be curious with things like lights,especially flatfish that love shiney things and attractor beads. But.... I was using a headlight and no tip light so maybe this is to blame for my near blank.

(Have tiplights now)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm

beware tip lights :shock: if you do use one always check no line has become tangled around it before you let rip with your lead,they have been known to remove a few inches from the top of peoples rods not nice :twisted:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:13 pm

for the flatties, glow in the dark beads work well,

as for tip lights, i take mine off when casting. always worry about the batteries falling out as the battery cover isnt 100% in my view.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 am

night fishing without tiplights
xmas morning without present
come on guys all night angler need tiplights they are so cheap and effective :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm

we used to use tip lights all the time until i loaded all our reels with braid. braid has an uncanny knack of wrapping round them if you get slack lined, the wind is howling or during a cast in windy conditions :roll: :roll: . we just put a bit of reflective tape on the top of all our rods now and the old headlight shows them up from a good distance away. another advantage of tape over tip lights is that if you have the tape on the top 18 inches of your rod you see a lot more of the bites as you can see the entire lenght of the tip of your rod as apposed to a single point at the top of the tip. well handy in windy conditions where there is a bit of movement in the rod :wink: :wink:
just my 2 cents from trial and error. i'm sure other lads have different opinions.
hope this helps

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 pm

spotted these yesterday, handy if someone likes starlights and is getting a rebuild

http://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=813
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm

to late mousey :oops: :lol: , a few other options are isotopes which can last for 10 years, luminous epoxy resin and luminous low diameter shrink tubing on the rod tip or all 3 combined for the hook lighthouse effect 8)

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 pm

onur wrote:night fishing without tiplights
xmas morning without present
come on guys all night angler need tiplights they are so cheap and effective :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry. all you need is reflective tape and a good head lamp dont waste time with tip lights