in an empty 35mm film case.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:04 pm

This took over three times the amount of small flatties than an ordinary set-up I had also alongside it..
I used it on short casts off a small pier. Lots of people probably know of it so apologies if it is of little use.
I tied the case to the line with elastic bands. I was just chancing my arm but it sure as sh$%^ works.
Anchovie oil in cotton wool stuffed into an empty 35mm film case with holes pierced on either end and stuck onto the line with elastic bands.

:D :D :D

Re: in an empty 35mm film case.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:04 pm

sure does work but no use in ifsa comps as this is classed as groundbaiting and not allowed the sooner this rule is changed the better and theres people out there who must agree and know why it must be changed

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:32 am

fisherman59 wrote:sure does work but no use in ifsa comps as this is classed as groundbaiting and not allowed the sooner this rule is changed the better and theres people out there who must agree and know why it must be changed

I dont know why it must be changed . Please give me the reasons for it to be changed :!:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Dont agree with groundbaiting or additive use in competitions in the slightest, its nonsense. Just because someone may be able to come up with a better scenting oil or whatever does not them a better angler make. Searching your peg in a bid to find fish is surely a part of the skills required? Nothing against anyone doing this for pleasure angling in the slightest, fair play for trying it out, but it has no place in competitions.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

It's alright! sorted
Last edited by round_ourway on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 pm

fisherman59 wrote:sure does work but no use in ifsa comps as this is classed as groundbaiting and not allowed the sooner this rule is changed the better and theres people out there who must agree and know why it must be changed

not sure why this should be changed, can you clarify? :?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:33 pm

i know people out there who use additives when pleasure fishing and it improves their catch rate surely this is a good thing or do some people have super dooper additives :?:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

well ye can buy 're-useable' bait bags (bout 3 x2'') in size... pack with 'bits!' and freeze, attached with the lead, ye get great results!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:11 pm

whats the difference between someone who is entering an ifsa comp who has access to (a) availability to black lug beds (b) availability to white rag beds or (c) availability to bait additives well everyone has access to (c) but it is not allowed why :?:awating replies with baited breath from eric and rampent wreckfish

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:42 am

fisherman59 wrote:whats the difference between someone who is entering an ifsa comp who has access to (a) availability to black lug beds (b) availability to white rag beds or (c) availability to bait additives well everyone has access to (c) but it is not allowed why :?:awating replies with baited breath from eric and rampent wreckfish

Well firstly you are now refering to additives whereas above you refer to ground baiting. When you make up your mind on which you want I will reply to you.

Why is access to black lug beds important? Most of the top anglers in this country buy there black lug in the shop and as for whites...... they are sooooo overrated its not funny. There are odd occasions when they catch fish but think about it this way, can you see a dogfish turning his nose up at a sandeel and moving off to get a white- I cant. The same with flounder and maddies. Maddies will catch all the small flounder you would ever want on the east coast however other baits work better on different coasts.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm

fisherman59 wrote:whats the difference between someone who is entering an ifsa comp who has access to (a) availability to black lug beds (b) availability to white rag beds or (c) availability to bait additives well everyone has access to (c) but it is not allowed why :?:awating replies with baited breath from eric and rampent wreckfish

i dont have access to true black lug beds but i also freeze large blow lug and it works just as well. i buy my frozen wraps if i need em. i have access to white rag beds but i can only dig them two or three times a year because of the tide any as jp said there unbelievably overrated. hows is using bait additives going to improve competitions anyway. as pete mentioned your taking the skill out of it. instead of using your head to find fish you could simply spend hour after hour building up a scent trail in one spot with your supper additive and let the fish come to you. that strikes me as lazy.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 pm

just out of curiosity fisherman59 do ya fish competitions or just pleasure fish. imo the only people pro groundbaiting and additives in comps are bad anglers with too many euros in there pockets :lol: fresh baits presented properly on the right size hook at the right distance will catch all the fish ya need sometimes it takes fellas years to get all those figured out properly groundbait and additives are the lazy way.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Hmmmmmm...... Interesting.

One point though... Can fish smell from miles off? If they can, then surely bringing them to you is the only way you would catch any if there were none in the area you were fishing. The ocean is huge so whats the harm in bringing down the odds of finding fish ? (or should I say, them finding you). Can anyone really say (truthfully) that drawing a blank is more fun than catching fish.....

Dunno....
Anyway I am just being a bit of a devils advocate here. I've never fished a competition in my life and don't know anything about rules and so forth, however I often see them using chummy when fishing for shark etc. from boats. Is this not the same thing ???

Hope I didn't open up a can of worms...... pun intended. :D

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 pm

The chum or rubby dubby you refer to is used on boats pleasure fishing for sharks to attract fish for all anglers on the boat , bait additives are bringing science into match fishing i.e. the person with the best scent will attract the most fish and to me this aint match fishing.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 pm

bigsod wrote:The chum or rubby dubby you refer to is used on boats pleasure fishing for sharks to attract fish for all anglers on the boat , bait additives are bringing science into match fishing i.e. the person with the best scent will attract the most fish and to me this aint match fishing.

Yeah, I suppose for competition everyone needs to be playing on the same field.
I guess that some kind of additive would ruin the fairness of it.
And there's me thinking I was a genius when I shoved that stuff into the film can, I'd never heard of additives but figured if they fling in groundbait for coarse fishing surrely I could try something similiar, just as well I didn't patent it. LOL..... Doh...... :D

Next question..... how would you know if a competitor had marinated his standard bait in some kind of mix.... and if he did is that illegal in competition???

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Your idea would work , and in a pleasure fishing situation its bound to get you an extra few. As regards lads putting additives on bait in comps id like to think its not done, but its possible and very hard to police.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:57 am

bhoy32 wrote: fresh baits presented properly on the right size hook at the right distance will catch all the fish ya need .

Lads john has just revealed the secret of catching fish.

It is that simple!

Ground baiting will not work in the sea due to current and wave action and anyone using bait additives is just fooling themselves.
If you want to catch more fish get what john said above right and you will have very few blank days. (no matter what kind of fishing you do and where you are doing it)

JP

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:00 am

just another point on this...... and i may be wrong...
additives and groundbaiting are banned in masters and jimmy smith as far as i know, but not in all ifsa comps??
as far as i last knew it was ok to use groundbait or additives in normal open comps etc. apologies but its the last i remember hearing on the subject although i dont use them myself!
but definately do not rule them out.... on there day the correct additive can have great effect, even in a competition setting.
although on some venues they are more beneficial to the other anglers as everything washes that way in the current and away from the angler using it!

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:05 am

BigPhil wrote:just another point on this...... and i may be wrong...
additives and groundbaiting are banned in masters and jimmy smith as far as i know, but not in all ifsa comps??
as far as i last knew it was ok to use groundbait or additives in normal open comps etc. apologies but its the last i remember hearing on the subject although i dont use them myself!
but definately do not rule them out.... on there day the correct additive can have great effect, even in a competition setting.
although on some venues they are more beneficial to the other anglers as everything washes that way in the current and away from the angler using it!

Additives are definitly banned. I am not sure about ground baiting but i will have a definite for you next week

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:53 am

additives come under the heading of groundbaiting in ifsa comps i stand corrected