How to unhook flatties..... PROPERLY!

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

Re: How to unhook flatties..... PROPERLY!

Postby saltydog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:04 am

gfkelly1969 wrote:
thescotsman wrote:
I would also like to see what methods people have for unhooking ray,I always used my fingers as I found it to be the quickest way of unhooking them until I met martin from England and seen what damage a ray can do to a lads finge

Howdy Gerry get yourself a Gemini disgorger or a small T-Bar disgorger for Ray... I wouldn't advise anyone to put their finger in a Rays mouth they do crush their prey afterall...
Shore Species 2011 (31) Ballan Wrasse, Bass, Bullhuss, Coalfish, Cod, Conger, Corkwing Wrasse, Cuckoo Ray, Dab, Dogfish, Five Bearded Rockling, Flounder, Goldsinny Wrasse, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Mackerel, Plaice, Pollack, Poor Cod, Pouting, Rock Goby, Shanny, Shore Rockling, Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Thornback Ray, Three Bearded Rockling, Tompot Blenny, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Turbot, Undulate Ray, Whiting

Shore Species 2010 (26) - Bass, Black Goby, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Five Bearded Rockling, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Lesser Weaver, Mackerel, Mullet, Plaice, Pollack, Poor cod, Pouting, Rock Goby, Shore Rockling, Silver eel, Starry Smooth Hound, Thornback Ray, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Turbot, Whiting

Galway Buccaneers SAC
saltydog
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby baitdigger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 am

gfkelly1969 wrote:
thescotsman wrote:
P.S. Pete do one on unhooking ray please - no sense in anyone else getting the top ripped off their fingers :oops:
I would also like to see what methods people have for unhooking ray,

I have a larger set of forceps which I have modified by grinding about 20mm off the length of the jaws, this allows a firmer, stronger grip on the larger sizes of hooks. I use them if the hook is inside the mouth of rays, huss and conger or if I cannot get a good grip on a lip hooked fish.
If I can I lock the jaws onto the bend of the hook and either push down or curl the hook around until it comes out.
The Truth is often stumbled upon by men, most of whom pick themselves up and hurry along as if nothing ever happened.
https://baitdigger.wordpress.com
baitdigger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby Donagh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:54 am

baitdigger wrote:
gfkelly1969 wrote:
thescotsman wrote:
P.S. Pete do one on unhooking ray please - no sense in anyone else getting the top ripped off their fingers :oops:
I would also like to see what methods people have for unhooking ray,

I have a larger set of forceps which I have modified by grinding about 20mm off the length of the jaws, this allows a firmer, stronger grip on the larger sizes of hooks. I use them if the hook is inside the mouth of rays, huss and conger or if I cannot get a good grip on a lip hooked fish.
If I can I lock the jaws onto the bend of the hook and either push down or curl the hook around until it comes out.

For ray I use a grauvell pliers I bought off Veals (it really stands up to rust despite my abuse) but only to take the bait off the hooks of a deep hooked rays mouth to expose the hooks. I then use a Gemini Disgourger not a T-BAR as with a T-BAR you cannot push the hook deeper into the rays throat to free the barb. A T-Bar works best on mouth hooked fish. Once the Barb is free the hook is guided out of the throat. This is easy on a single hook by sliding the disgourger down the line until it meets the bare hook. On a penel I go directly to each hook to put the top of the discourger around it and do one at a time.
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Shep » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Great pictures!

Thanks very much for the guide it will come in very useful in the future!!!
Species 2011 - 19 - Coalfish, Flounder, Pollack, Shore Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Dogfish, Long Spine Sea Scorpion, 5B Rockling, Pouting, Poor Cod, Corkwing Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, Whiting, Shanny, Codling, 3B Rockling, Mackerel.

Species 2012 - 5 - Coalfish, Flounder, Pollack, Dogfish, Pouting ,Whiting.

Want -Conger,Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Cuckoo Wrasse, Tope.
Shep
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby JOHN LYNCH » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:23 pm

http://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalo ... 20Clip.mov

Check out this product, the voice and video may make you laugh but the hook removal tool looks like a good idea.
JOHN LYNCH
Inactive

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Gabbey11 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Ive found taking a little time saves a lot no matter what technique you use, we caught around 25 flounder in one afternoon and i removed bait and then moved beads and finally used normal pliers to push and pull out. the odd one may have taken longer so for match fishing might not have done the trick. I will however be trying the above technique as Im one for saving the fish I dont keep.
I tried to see how many do survive by simple removal by settin them just into the wash of the beach, most seem alrite but thats not to say the survive.
These pics well help in future as we normally lift a lot of flatties.
Cheers Pete
Species: 31 Coalfish, LSS, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pouting, 5b Rockling, Whiting, Ballan, Corkwing, GS Wrasse, Lsd, Shore rockling, Pollack, Codling, Poor Cod, Mackeral, shanny, Thornback Ray, haddock, Tub Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Herring, Silver eel, Black goby, Rock goby, Leopard spot goby, Turbet, Conger eel, mullet

Wishlist: Bass, Sea Trout, Tadpole Fish
Gabbey11
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby dublinbay » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:05 pm

thanks petekd that advice helped me out good the outher night
dublinbay
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby deanm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:43 pm

thanks for the advice
deanm
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Fishing4ever » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks for the tutorial :D , nice to know an easier way of unhooking flatties without causing them as much harm , they always seem to swallow the hooks no matter how small they are!
Species 2011 ; Mackeral , pollack , cod , dogfish , tub gurnard , grey gurnard , plaice , flounder , Starry smoothhound , poor cod , european eel ,
Fishing4ever
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Greenthumb » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Great pics . I caught a few today and had trouble removing hooks , I even had one greedy fish take 2 hooks.

I'll be using this method from now on .
Greenthumb
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Deego » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks for the info. I always hated catching flatties due to the poor survival rate after they were hooked. Hopefully this makes a difference!
Deego
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Greenthumb » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Great pics but still couldn't get the hang of it. Thankfully one of the lads at a comp showed me how to do it this way .
It's so simple now after seeing someone do it , and no more hassle anymore with gut hooked flats. Brilliant
Greenthumb
SAI Lug Worm

Postby roryodonnell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:22 am

Great photos, very simply explained. I only wish i had read this a while ago. Went fishing down ark low with fairly stiff wind blowing, using around 6oz weights (without the grip wires snapped in properly (I'm a beginner)) and reeled in to change bait. When leader came in I noticed a bit a weed or the like around my snood. It was a little dab. The poor thing had taken my 2 sized hook along with beed bait stop down its mouth. Not knowing how to get it out without causing too much pain, I had to plonk it on the head,

I always try to return my fish immediately without any undue stress. Thanks to these photos, more fish can be returned safely.
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby doggy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:55 pm

R D wrote:how do you get the hook out if its right down in their stomachs because you missed the bite or they just didnt bite??

sounds like dinner time to me! hehe
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby Shay » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 am

Great pic explanation!
Shay
SAI Lug Worm

Postby bouncer965 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 am

Great post ........only had a couple of flatties but very good info offered there, nothing wrong with having an easier and more quarry respected methods in your armoury.
Catches for 2012: Pollock, Mackerel, Dogfish, Sea Trout, Ballen Wrasse

And more to come on the end of my line ............

For this message the author bouncer965 has received thanks:
petekd (Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:59 pm)
bouncer965
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby RobR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 pm

crush the barbs?? that would aid easier faster removal and rebaiting for comps and less damage to the fish. prob wouldnt catch any though when the bait slips off :lol: ..... although with those bait holder hoooks with the small barbs up the shank would they keep bait there if you wanted to crush the main barb :?:
RobR
SAI Lug Worm

Postby dexs7 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Great thread, its fantastic to see such a positive response, after all we must do our best for a fish that lets be honest if didn't exist would mean a lot more blanks. Thank god for flounder
The finest gift you can give a fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

2016 Bass, Flounder, Turbot, Dogfish, Pollock,Mackerel, Bull Huss, Coal Fish

2013 8

2012 (8) Bass (P.B 7.5 lb)

2011 (17)

2010 (14)
dexs7
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Liam1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 pm

petekd wrote:Right, after another round of comps over the past couple of weeks, its amazing to see how many experienced anglers still cant carefully unhook flatfish to give them a fighting chance of survival when released. It is difficult if you dont know how, yet so quick and easy for you and the fish when done correctly. If you fish for flats you have a moral responsibility to learn how to unhook them properly. Reaching for T-Bars, Gemini disgorgers, hauling on hooks just isnt on, comp or no comp. So, here you are, this is as simple as I can put it. There are a multitude of other ways to carry this out with bits of bent wire and the like but for the uninitiated, just get a small pair of surgical forceps like in the pic, they are the best tool for the job.

Very good pictures with great detail I'm new to sea fishing and preservation of stocks is key to species survival

Cheers
Liam1

Postby martin435 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Handy Post, Good easy steps.

Cheers
martin435
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers