dun loaoghaire

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi am thinking of fishing the west pier tomorrow night full tide was looking for any info that would help,what location of pier,bait,rigs (bottom or float) parking and fees etc,many thanks especially for prompt replies :)

Re: dun loaoghaire

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 pm

as far as i know there is no parking fees after 8pm down there :wink:
but thursday is fairly busy down there with boat club stuff going on, i dont fish there often so cant help with that end of things.
good luck.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 pm

JOHN1 wrote:as far as i know there is no parking fees after 8pm down there :wink:
but thursday is fairly busy down there with boat club stuff going on, i dont fish there often so cant help with that end of things.
good luck.

Thanks John1 for that speedy reply,if i could ask where did you fish there,is it at the end of the pier to the mouth so to speak and any other info bait,tactics etc,thanks...

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 am

fish the bottom using a 2/3 hook flapper and ragworm for plaice ,dabs,flounder,doggies,pollock and whiting while you could try a float set up with ragworm off the back wall for pollock and wrasse... :wink:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am

sea serpant wrote:fish the bottom using a 2/3 hook flapper and ragworm for plaice ,dabs,flounder,doggies,pollock and whiting while you could try a float set up with ragworm off the back wall for pollock and wrasse... :wink:

Ya has me there Sea Searpant,"fish the bottom using a 2/3 hook flapper" ....could you enlighten a novice so that he can put your info into use and have a mega catch :D

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:29 am

it means ledgering to baits on two hooks close to the bottom,... make a stop at a tackle shop i think there is 1 in dunlaoighre.. and ask for a couple of ready made two hook flapper rigs and some grip leads... there is instructions on the packet... this will give insight into the idea of using traces and rigs... :wink:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:39 am

sea serpant wrote:it means ledgering to baits on two hooks close to the bottom,... make a stop at a tackle shop i think there is 1 in dunlaoighre.. and ask for a couple of ready made two hook flapper rigs and some grip leads... there is instructions on the packet... this will give insight into the idea of using traces and rigs... :wink:

I see now that i use something like that at the moment so many thanks for prompt replies, tomorrows tide is not far away :)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 am

best of luck :wink:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Here's a link to show you some of the more popular shore fishing rigs.

http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/rigs.html

Buy a few ready made rigs from the shop to start with, and then buy the necessary components to make your own rigs using the ready made ones as templates.

Most helpful tackle shop staff will point you in the right direction regarding which bits and bobs you need to buy to make up your own rigs.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Float fishing inside the Harbour from half way up the west Pier should have you in with a good chance of Pollack, Pouting, wrasse and Mac. Ragworm is by far the best bait to use there when float fishing. I would start fishing a few hours before High water as it usually goes dead on the drop.
Bottom fishing used to produce plaice and dabs and big Scorpion fish but unfortunately all that have been caught lately are whiting.
The back of the West peir is good for feathering for Mac and bottom fishing can produce dogs, flats and gurnard.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks lads for detailed info......