Releasing a big ray from a height..

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:17 pm

during yesterdays session, i figured out a very good way of releasing a big ray (could work with other fish too)
from a height if you don't have a drop net or anyway to get down to the waters edge...

what i did was get the spool of shock leader and thread the line through its gill vent on top and out through the mouth, then while holding the end of the line in one hand and the spool in the other lift the fish and slowly let line out of the spool until the ray reaches the water, hold it until the fish starts to want to swim away, and then let go of the line in one hand and pull it through and the fish will swim away happily then just spool back the loose line..

quite simple and very effective..

Re: Releasing a big ray from a height..

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Great idea, the simplest ideas are the best.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 pm

immunecfg wrote:Great idea, the simplest ideas are the best.

frisby :wink:

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 pm

kevin conlon wrote:

Errr no... Youl'd break your wrist with a big Ray for one, and two it's a rather cruel thing to do..

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 pm

very clever indeed, if only i could catch one from a high mark :)

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:
kevin conlon wrote:

Errr no... Youl'd break your wrist with a big Ray for one, and two it's a rather cruel thing to do..

discus

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:36 pm

wont putting line through and then pulling it through the gills damage them?

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 am

MC wrote:wont putting line through and then pulling it through the gills damage them?

it doesnt seem to do any damage to them as ray gills are more to the side and back of the vent, and have a hard vent opening which heavy mono wont cut into...

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:16 am

rustyhookthomas wrote:very clever indeed, if only i could catch one from a high mark :)

or even catch one at all!! :D

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 am

Ok good idea on the release but I have had trouble getting them up out of the water.
Any good tips on that.
Had a good ray and a flounder double one night and could'nt get them up. In the end the line snapped at the swievel. I guess they are still swimming around together, either that or the flounder ate the ray !!!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Keeper wrote:Ok good idea on the release but I have had trouble getting them up out of the water.
Any good tips on that.
Had a good ray and a flounder double one night and could'nt get them up. In the end the line snapped at the swievel. I guess they are still swimming around together, either that or the flounder ate the ray !!!

a drop net would be your best bet

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:13 pm

I think im going to have to fashion a drop net the next time i will be going to pollock as breaking rods when hauling them up is an expensive business.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:27 am

Can't see the shockleader not doing damage as the fish is lowered. After all even a wee bit of drag slip on a fixed spool during a cast can find the shockleader half way through your finger (and thats probably only a couple of inches of movement of leader under pressure) . :?

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:30 pm

trebuchet

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Hahaha, hmmm maybe if there was a moat and bailie to get over!!! good one.!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:07 am

good tip

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Excellent idea... Will try it next time, and not just with Raymondos....

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 am

immunecfg wrote:I think im going to have to fashion a drop net the next time i will be going to pollock as breaking rods when hauling them up is an expensive business.

i made a drop net from an old racer bike wheel rim and a bit of netting when i was a kid fishing on the arklow roadstone jetty!
20 foot drop! worked a treat!