how to use this from the shore

Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 pm

hi lads.the pic i have below is a rig i bought from the mustad range in a tackle shop.it is called a "baited spoon" and it was in the shore angling rigs section.as u can see on 1 end of the spoon is 1 foot of line with 4 running beads and a size 1 hook .the other end has about 4 foot of line and then a swivel at the end.

to be honest i have no idea how to use this properly or to set it up..cud any 1 give me some info on how to use this properly as it looks like a good rig if fished right for big flats and ray hopefully.even if sum 1 could draw a small sketch and upload ere i would be grateful
any info appreciated on this rig.

Thanx a million

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: how to use this from the shore

Thu May 27, 2010 10:54 pm

cast it out and twitch it back in for flounder i think

Thu May 27, 2010 10:57 pm

thats great shane but id like more info on like where shud i put in relation to the weight,or should i attach to a boom above the weight.do i need a bait clip.etc.a drawed diagram wud be best i think

Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 pm

http://www.mikestackleshop.com/shakespe ... 15405.html
there is a pic to show you where to put lead i use a zip clip to attach lead and a mack belly you will need some bait elastic to hold the mack on and make sure you leave a bit of a mack flapping off the hook to tease the fish and bring it in very slow with a jerking movement

Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 pm

saving private brian wrote:thats great shane but id like more info on like where shud i put in relation to the weight,or should i attach to a boom above the weight.do i need a bait clip.etc.a drawed diagram wud be best i think

the one in the photo is not for the shore its well to long i cant put it in words how to rig it up and im not good at diagrams thats all i can help you with sorry

Thu May 27, 2010 11:11 pm

the bottom half (hooklength) is perfectly set up, the top part is little to long as shaneh said .

set it to about 1 foot long. from the swivel have a bead, then a lead clip for your weight, then another bead and then a swivel to tie to your mainline. like a running ledger. the spoon needs movement to work as it stirs up the bottom and flickers. thats what causes the attraction to the fish. either fish it into a tidal run or twitch in slowly, sort of like ultra slow spinning for flats, stopping every so often.

Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Or use it where that kind of trace is better suited. IE From a boat....

Thu May 27, 2010 11:42 pm

petekd wrote:Or use it where that kind of trace is better suited. IE From a boat....

i thought that peter it was 4 the boat.the shop owner had it in the wrong section so.ah well.atleast i no now. :mrgreen:

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:17 pm

old thread I know, but some good tips on rigs on WSF forum http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/b ... spoon.html