hermit crab good or bad?/?/?

Tue May 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi all .just wondering if hermit crab is any good for bait and what would it be good for catching :?: thanks.

Re: hermit crab good or bad?/?/?

Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 pm

im tryin to remember when i read about them in a fishing mag but as far as i no u will definitely get wrasses on them.sure wrasse will eat anything lol.hopefully u will get more replys about different fish that like them

Brian

Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 pm

I used to use them as great baits in the pacific. Groupers do like them a lot. Not sure how it fishes here :D

Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Have caught smoothies from shore and boat on them. They need plenty of elastic as they can be very soft.
Dogfish also have a liking for them :twisted:

Thu May 27, 2010 12:32 pm

I've caught bass on them in down south and in Clare, mainly later on in the year as i remember it.
If you fish them on the float you dont need to mummify them as much, leave them some wriggle room.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:47 pm

VERY GOOD FOR HOUNDS BUT WOULDN JUST BRING THEM
WOULD HAV SOME OTHER BAITS AS WELL AS THEY DONT ALWAYS
FISH

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:08 pm

ray off fenit with them

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:20 pm

thanks for the replys lads but not sure what eoins mail meant? ray off fenit with them? can any one shed any light on this. thanks for the help.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Determined Dan wrote:thanks for the replys lads but not sure what eoins mail meant? ray off fenit with them? can any one shed any light on this. thanks for the help.

he caught ray of fenit peir using hermit crabs

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 pm

cheers shaneH . ill gather them up and give them a go. fingers crossed.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Often fished the Thames Estuary in England with them. Got Bass, Smoothhounds and Thornback on them. Was targetting the Smoothhounds.

Good bait, in it's time and place.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:30 pm

cheers for translation shane

ShaneH wrote:
Determined Dan wrote:thanks for the replys lads but not sure what eoins mail meant? ray off fenit with them? can any one shed any light on this. thanks for the help.

he caught ray of fenit peir using hermit crabs

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:10 pm

no problem

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Caught plenty of smoothhound and ray boat fishing off east coast, but they must be fresh and alive, no good if they been frozen. If your fishing from a boat you shouldnt need elastic, a good long hook through the soft body and hook point through the shell.