diy fish disgorger

Sat May 22, 2010 2:00 am

after seeing what damage a ray can do to a finger i decided to make a fish disgorger here is the idea i came up with
I took a wall tie that is used in double block wall
wall tie.JPG
and spent 5 mins with the hammer and vise and hacksaw and ended up with this
disgorger.JPG

i have not tried it yet as all the fish i caught after i made it unhooked easy

the wall tie is pretty strong and it is stainless steel as well so it wont rust
has any one else made some thing similar i would love to hear your idea if you have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: diy fish disgorger

Sun May 23, 2010 1:01 am

gemini have created this so you dont have too :D brilliant device, very durable and perfect for extracting hooks out of tough skined doggies, rays and huss. apart from this ive seen lads make disgorgers from coat hangers and steel wire. their fine for flats but seem to bend and buckle when faced with the task of heavier fish

Mon May 24, 2010 10:14 am

The Gemini and a pair of narrow forceps and you'll unhook practically anything..... The wall tie thing will work no doubt and the lads on the west coast are masters at manufacturing the little wire thingummy bob for unhooking flats carefully.

Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm

petekd wrote:The lads on the west coast are masters at manufacturing the little wire thingummy bob for unhooking flats carefully.

Just trying to preserve our tinker heritage sorr.

eric wrote:Gemini have created this so you dont have to :D

In these recessionary times, maybe we do. Import substitution - everything helps..... :)

GF: that was another grand little idea, made a couple myself.

Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Used my gemini on about 15 dog fish last night, I wouldnt have a patch of skin on hand left if I hadn't it with me.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Very much like the DIY version looks good and its a reccesion buster.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:55 pm

ah sure while we are on the subject....
attached is one i made for unhooking flatties.. and here's a video on how to use it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8b3Z0P9uOs4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:05 pm

that one of yours steve for the flatie's is the best i've seen yet, i made one up with a grip wire, and i can unhook them in just a few seconds 8)