Making Weights

Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 am

Thinking of trying to make my own fishing weights for boat fishing any do this or anyone have any tips.....

Re: Making Weights

Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm

wear gloves and eye protection and always in a well ventilated area, as for mould plenty of moulds on the internet.

Thu May 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi,
I use a blow torch and a SS ladle I bought from the 2 euro shop in Waterford. I heated the edge of the ladle with the torch and hammered a spout into it. I got some moulds off eBay as well as GAC. I got 20kg left over from my parents house :D

Sean

Fri May 21, 2010 4:39 pm

go to your local hardwear shop and pick up copper pipe place pipe in a bucket of sand and pour your melted lead in to ithen let cool and the cut at a angle into desired lenght drill a hole at either end and insert split ring attach a hook to the bottom split and a swivel to the top paint lead with any paint ya have attach to feathers and go fishing

or else just get concret and make weights from that

Fri May 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Make sure the lead is really hot before you pour cos when its not it sets to quick and be in a well ventilated area

Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 pm

as the lads said protective gear is a must . BUT . when making your weights never look over the mould when pouring in case of a air pocket and blow back AND NEVER EVER wet the mould .eg. put it into water to make it easier to handle between weights. and then make another weight because the moisture goes to the bottom of the mould and then you pour in the red hot lead and it explodes back out through the pour hole if it gets on skin it it leaves serious serious damage .eg. marked for life .believe me i know. take care. safety first .all the best.if you need any help just ask.

Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Good advice thanks lads what do people use to melt the lead I'm thinking a high pressure burner of some kind..

Sun May 30, 2010 7:52 pm

i use a wee gas cooker it has 2 rings so u can heat the mould to works fine i make all my weights from 1oz to 3lb

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:59 pm

What other metals can be used besides led ?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:58 am

Finfishyfish wrote:What other metals can be used besides led ?

latinum.....if you can get it. :wink:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:23 pm

For the boat I dont bother with moulds and melting lead etc., I just buy a roll of roofing lead (flashing) from a builders providers, cut up squares of the required size, and roll them round pieces of doubled-over casing wire (galvanised) using pliers and a tack hammer. Leave the folded end of the wire sticking out a bit for attaching the line.

A square 4ins X 4ins is near enough 8oz weight so you can work out other weights pro rata from there.

You end up with a fairly crude looking lead cigar, but I lose so many weights off the boat in a season that low cost and simplicity come way before looks. 8)