Conger

Tue May 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Going to have another crack at conger with the lads tonight. Bray Harbor didn't deliver the last night. Any other venues anyone can recommend near Dublin? I might try Howth Harbor if anyone has any tips. Would go as far as Wicklow Harbor, anyone ever picked up a conger there? ( How's it smelling? ;) ) I might try the rocks at Dalkey as I witnessed a huge 6ft eel dragged out of there one night!

Ive been using flowing traces dropped down the wall with rotten bottom links to the lead, is that the best set up?

Ive previously used mack heads and fillets as bait I'm wondering that a whole mack head might be too big a bait for some of the smaller eels would I be wrong? And how often would i want to be changing the baits?

High tides round Dublin bout 10pm tonight am I right?

Thanks

Re: Conger

Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 pm

tonight wont be a good night for conger and there isnt many around i have fished for them the last few weeks at my conger marks with f.ck all biting and ye you get lots of conger in wicklow but as i said there is f.ck all biting

Tue May 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Whats the best months for them?? I always only ever went in aug/sep because we used to catch fresh macks/pouting before dark then fish the conger.

Tue May 11, 2010 1:55 pm

gd wrote:Whats the best months for them?? I always only ever went in aug/sep because we used to catch fresh macks/pouting before dark then fish the conger.

they feed hard just befor xmas cos they stop feeding when the water gets cold but you can catch them all year round in deep water. they start to feed agen around the end of may

Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 pm

This is not good news, back to the drawing board, did somebody say doggie bashing? ;)

Tue May 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Cormdogg wrote:This is not good news, back to the drawing board, did somebody say doggie bashing? ;)

i think the dogs would be a better bet tonight

Tue May 11, 2010 4:09 pm

same as above still very early for conger and the small ones can take a whole joey mackerel or head and body of a full mack but i always found fresh mackerel the best over frozen for conger some people tend to use rotten bait all i catch with rotten is bullhuss

Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 pm

coddingya wrote:same as above still very early for conger and the small ones can take a whole joey mackerel or head and body of a full mack but i always found fresh mackerel the best over frozen for conger some people tend to use rotten bait all i catch with rotten is bullhuss

i like to match the hatch if i can by using pout or pollock they work better for the big boys squid is a deadly bait for them to but this year i want to try some mullet for them its ment to be a deadly conger bait

Tue May 11, 2010 6:38 pm

ShaneH wrote:tonight wont be a good night for conger and there isnt many around i have fished for them the last few weeks at my conger marks with f.ck all biting and ye you get lots of conger in wicklow but as i said there is f.ck all biting

Yea right we got 3 last week are ya using hooks shane?

Tue May 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Tony Fella wrote:
ShaneH wrote:tonight wont be a good night for conger and there isnt many around i have fished for them the last few weeks at my conger marks with f.ck all biting and ye you get lots of conger in wicklow but as i said there is f.ck all biting

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Tony Fella wrote:

:lol: :lol: they were only straps you had not worth fishing for a no drumer was saying yous had some

Sun May 16, 2010 2:43 pm

dose any1 know good conger marks around the NW coast thanks in advance :D

Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 am

Most of the peirs around Sligo and Donegal hold conger. Try Mullaghmore, Killybegs or Teelin

Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Any other venues anyone can recommend near Dublin?

Go out the end of the Dun Laoghire East Pier at night , Running Ledger and some bloody Mackeral.. Be careful down there though, bring a good headlamp as there are a lot of holes that you could break an ankle on (speaking from experience)..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 pm

im in cork but i had a couple of them between 10 and 15lb this week if its of any encouragement. There are definitely a few taking baits

Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 am

Kaner wrote:
Any other venues anyone can recommend near Dublin?

Go out the end of the Dun Laoghire East Pier at night , Running Ledger and some bloody Mackeral.. Be careful down there though, bring a good headlamp as there are a lot of holes that you could break an ankle on (speaking from experience)..

Managed to get my whole leg stuck down a slippery grating once on a conger hunt. Would have been worth it if I'd taken one that night:)

Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 am

ShaneH might be right, we had 4 rods out in Wicklow last night, HT was 9 we fished 7 to 12. We caught a doggie on a conger trace right down the wall, When the ratchet went the elation went to sadness very quickly when the dog came up smiling (laughing) at us!

Tony. Im calling Shennanigans on you! ;)