seeking tips fishing competition kilmorequay

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

hi to all my fellow anglers,
I am posting this hoping someone out there will be able to assist me.I am an inexperienced angler but have a very keen interest and thoroughly enjoy the sport. I intend to compete in a competition very shortly off kilmore quay, wexford. The comp is a boat angling species competition. i would be very grateful if anyone could assist me in a few ideas or tips regrading baits to use, and rigs/traces to use in these waters. i am just starting out sea angling and will be competing against very senior experienced anglers, if anyone has recently fished in these waters and could assist me in some advice about rigs/traces baits which they found successful in these waters. if anyone can help i would be very grateful.

regards

dave

Re: seeking tips fishing competition kilmorequay

Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

species fishing is very hard and requires alot of different rigs and baits for example hokkai rrigs are good for cod pollack coalie and gurnard jigging while the boat is drifting. and if your at anchor depending on how many hooks your allowwed use to what rig but a good 3/0 animal rig after a sliding boom with an 8 ounce weight will catch ray dog bull huss and even whiting and tope but might be a bit early for that. tope i find easier to catch mid water with a 5/0 hook with a 200lb mono leader and a whole mack, bait to bring for species peeler crab, rag, lug, mackerel,squid really whatever you can get your hands on cause different bait attracts different species rotten mackerel is great for bull huss. and baited fearhers are great for cod in them waters. but bring as large a variety of bait as you can afford some times some one you know on hte bait might go halves with you he buys so much you buy so much of something else i find this the best way dave tilly in ringsend is great for bait and different types of it or the buthcher shop on meath street is great for fresh mackerel about 1 euro a whole fish and there caught fresh