float rig

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 pm

i've come up with a good rig for float fishin for pollack, coalies and wrasse.
simply:
attach your float on
get length of 15-20Ibs clear mono about 4 feet
now get a short length of the clear mono about 6 inches and make a loop at the end of it
put the loop against the longer length and pass the end through the loop
slide some beads on and attach your hook on
now lock it in place by placing 2 SSG coarse fishing shots one on one side and one on other
now slide some beads, sequents and blades on to the line at the bottom.
attach your hook to the end
block beads by placing anotheR shot about no1-SSG.

WAT DO YAS THINK

Re: float rig

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:37 am

sorry dan, but I just don't get it :oops: maybe if you have time, a diagram might help kick-start my imagination :wink:

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:31 pm

you simply have a large float, but a flapper rig below. i use a 20Ibs line down to a size 6 or 8 hook ans a snood comin off. use beads on it and lug worm. i've had plenty of fish on it now.
pollack
coalies
poutin
whitin
wrasse
rocklin
gobbies
mackerel
small codlin

use mack or lug as bait.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:53 pm

thanks dan for clearing that up, hinting the flapper did the trick :wink: going to try it out at Blackhead/lighthouse some time over the weekend, weather permitting obviously.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:53 pm

will be interested to hear how you get on - reports from there have been really bad over the last while

as you said watch out for the swells there and the rubbish!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:33 pm

should work. the rig has worked for me over the past couple of months.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:36 am

can ya post a quick pic of this rig mate. sounds cool. just cant vision it.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 pm

sounds like a good rig

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 pm

I seen a very similar rig like this at the weekend!! does the float have to be painted black for it to work? hehe

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Yeah seen it used before just basically a three hook or two hook paternoster under a float

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 pm

brown07 wrote:Yeah seen it used before just basically a three hook or two hook paternoster under a float

you could also add a bait feeder to it, underneath the float or as weight at the end, gives you a better scent trail to attract fish - lots of variations are possible, find out what suits you best according to the conditions you are fishing in.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Along similar "lines"... anybody ever tried float fishing a hokkai type rig?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Hugo wrote:Along similar "lines"... anybody ever tried float fishing a hokkai type rig?

tried it before and never got a touch with baited and unbaited feathers while floatfished rag picked up pollack consistently. could be worth a shot with small sabiki type lures.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:25 am

Hugo wrote:Along similar "lines"... anybody ever tried float fishing a hokkai type rig?

Hugo, I did once or twice - don't really need the float off a boat, but from shore I found they are too heavy and with any sort of a weight they will sink the float, and with small weight they won't cast well.

To get over the casting thing I tried them once with a balloon as a float on a hand line, off-shore breeze took it out nicely. I was chuffed but it looked daft and I bottled it when a couple of other people showed up and took it out before it had a chance to catch anything!! Might try it again some time.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:03 am

deadly when there is a bit of a chop in the water man. i fish a set of feathers below a 2oz sliding float set up and bait the bottom 2 hooks up with worm so you can target the wrasse too. sometimes you'll need to play about with the depth of the drop depending on how deep the mark your fishing is until you find the fish. when there is a bit of swell you can see the feathers fluttering below the float and they look pretty natural man. like i said, we've had great sucess with that set up :wink: :P only time it dose'nt seem to work is when the water is flat calm. but then again,, this is ireland. those conditions are few and far between :lol: :lol: :lol: hope this helps man :)